Reveal text, toaster style

I’m trying to make a callout animation, and so far I’ve managed to get the node and the line to appear:

(I tried to export a gif but I couldn’t do that either, but one thing at a time…)

Next I want some text to slide up (toaster style) from above the line, but I can’t work out how to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Try creating a rectangle mask that surrounds your text, then merge your text with it via a merge node set to mask. Then add a transform node between the text and the merge node, and animate it.

If that’s a bit too complex to understand, I can create a demo natron file showing how it would work.

I’ve given that a try, and I can get the text to move, but I’m having trouble with the merge node and masking it - whatever I do I can’t get the text to display at all (even if I delete the rectangle mask) - I think my problem is the merge node.

If you could create a demo file that would be an amazing help, thank you!

Tell me if this works:

Callout_Animation.ntp (99.1 KB)

1 Like

Ahh now I see, you have to merge the rectangle with the text with the text as background, and you can reveal it like that.

Thank you so much for your help, it’s really appreciated! :smile:

(also, I didn’t know about backdrop nodes either for organising the graph - good to know!)