[ RFE ] Make brushed mask area reflect brush settings as it's being brushed

This is a borderline cosmetic request – Well, I guess it is cosmetic because the ultimate functionality is unchanged but IMO it would still be a functional improvement because there would be more clarity of what’s actually happening.

So, let’s say you have an image with an area to be brush-masked:

You create a soft-edged, partially transparent brush and then start brushing:

When the stroke is complete you release the button and it appears feathered and partially transparent, per the brush:

But IMO it would be great to have the temporary (orange) swathes reflect the feathering and transparency as well, as they’re drawn. Also if their color matched the final mask’s color, it would be a more intuitive experience, I think.

Of course I have zero clue whether this is trivial or hair-pulling from a technical viewpoint.

Thanks as always.

Hi,

Doing this precisely would indeed be nontrivial, especially if it needs to be reasonably responsive in addition to accurate.

On the other hand, doing this imprecisely, while possible, would be deceiving imho. That’s why the current UI uses a different colour, which only provides a visual feedback on where the brush was applied, but not what its effects are.

To summarise, I’m not convinced that an approximation of the brush settings would be an improvement, sorry.

2 Likes

That makes sense, albeit given my ignorance of what’s involved. I was asking purely from a user viewpoint.

Semi-related question (also about brush masks) – The undo key shortcut (Ctrl+z on Windows / Linux) by default undoes all strokes. Would it be possible to have two mappings, for example:

Ctrl+z == Undo last stroke
Ctrl+Shift+z == Undo all strokes

??

This would be more consistent with general undo shortcut practice in most apps I’ve used over the years. I.e., adding Shift as additional modifier increases the scope of the undo (Ctrl is ‘local’, Ctrl+Shift is ‘global’). There have been times I’ve instinctively pressed Ctrl+z to undo my last action and had to go to the history stack if feasible to “undo my (mass) undo”.

Thanks.

2 Likes

I agree, this makes sense. I’ll see what I can do, thanks!

2 Likes