River fog this morning

I’d like to see what you make of this one - taken less than 2 hours ago, so hot off the pixels :smile:!
When taking it, the tree was very faint in the fog, but I deliberately focused on it thinking it might just work - I think it does but not sure. In my edit I’ve added masses of contrast.

DSC_2393.NEF (25.6 MB)
DSC_2394.NEF (25.1 MB)

These files are licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.
DSC_2394.NEF.xmp (10.1 KB)

14 Likes

No time to edit now but your edit is eerie and moody, I say well done already. Looking forward to seeing what everyone else does.

1 Like

Thanks! :grinning:

Thanks for the image. My attempt using DT 4.4.2

Beware of the Bunyip!

Looks a little like an oil painting.
Couldn’t decide on a cold morning sun or a warm morning sun?

DSC_2393.NEF.xmp (19.1 KB)

The Dropbear tree!

(almost) same processing as that above.

DSC_2394.NEF.xmp (23.8 KB)

9 Likes

I’ve just realized I uploaded the wrong file… I took two shots with different focus. I’ll add the right one, but leave the them both there, as I love your version of my ‘wrong’ file @Roger.Wilco !

I didn’t see any… :face_with_peeking_eye: but you never know!

It was a little chilly but not really cold - probably around 5 degrees C.

1 Like

:joy:

Funnily enough that tree isn’t an Australian native - it’s a poplar of some kind. But there again Dropbears probably aren’t particular… :wink: :wink:

1 Like

Rawtherapee 5.8

DSC_2394.jpg.out.pp3 (11.4 KB)

DSC_2394-1.jpg.out.pp3 (11.5 KB)

3 Likes

Rawtherapee 5.8

DSC_2393.jpg.out.pp3 (11.5 KB)

3 Likes

Great shot! A colourful rendition…

river-fog-this-morning-DSC_2394.NEF.xmp (22.8 KB)
dt 4.4.2

4 Likes

DSC_2393_rt_02_med.jpg.out.pp3 (34.4 KB)

Cheers!

4 Likes

Thanks for this play!

DSC_2394_RT-3.jpg.out.pp3 (19.8 KB)

1 Like

wow, such a nice pic. Here my try in RT 5.9 dev:

DSC_2393.NEF.jpg.out.pp3 (15,1 KB)

2 Likes

My versions…

DSC_2393.NEF.xmp (15.8 KB)

DSC_2394.NEF.xmp (12.9 KB)

5 Likes

Those are like old, faded paintings. Love them!

2 Likes

Playing with GIMP L-a-b and GEGL Color C2g two versions.

2 Likes

DSC_2394.NEF.xmp (10.7 KB)

2 Likes

This is so cool!

To me it has a very strong Lord-of-the-Rings-meets-Jurassic-Park vibe. The snag / branch / whatever sticking up at the lower right has a serpent-like quality that looks like a creature emerging from the muck. The fence with …whatever… caught on it evokes a line of dark figures trudging up toward the white tree while being supervised by the serpent. Whether they’re marching to their doom or to their salvation is unclear.

And it’s all reinforced by the gloomy, almost grainy darkness of the image. I’m sure a quite interesting gothic / sci-fi / mythical tale could a written to support it. Very epic!

I tried converting it to B&W but I ended up wanting to add a color cast, so there was no reason. I used a drawn brush mask (very feathered and transparent) to enable a pretty severe lightening of the tree. Pushed the shadows a bit bluer / cooler and the highlights just a tad warmer / yellower.

ART 1.20.2

DSC_2394.NEF.arp (31.3 KB)

11 Likes

Thanks for this description! These words i was searching for.

3 Likes

It makes a cool desktop wallpaper! :slight_smile: