Rockies on cloudy sky

Hi! I would like to test the capability of Darktable and Rawtherapee on this image I took on the Canadian Rockies. I’m interested especially in the possibility of darken sky and keep the snow as white as possible, but I’m also curious on how many ways of working this image could be possible with these software.
Thank you all!
IMG_4836.CR2 (17.0 MB)

This work is licensed under CC BY 4.0 [image][image]

1 Like

nice pic

quick edit on laptop. DT 3,6

Rockies on cloudy sky_IMG_4836.CR2.xmp (13.6 KB)

3 Likes

Great Pic! Here’s I’m focusing more on the rockies.

IMG_4836.CR2.xmp (42.3 KB)
dt 3.7

Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Cool pic! I’ve been struggling to find nice ways to dehaze with darktable, it turned out that the tone equalizer worked really well here

dt 3.6

IMG_4836_02.CR2.xmp (91.0 KB)

1 Like

IMG_4836.CR2.xmp (17.0 KB)

4 Likes

I’m relatively new to Darktable, what are the effects of the parametric masks you use with local contrast? Does it soften the weight of the contrast? Very interesting. You use many modules that I didn’t even know exist! The one for burnt pixel is in your default setting or did you notice some fried light? In general I understand that I must train masks. They are much more versatipe than I thought!

Great view!
My try is a bit overprocessed because I tried to emphasize the cloud structure.
RT 5.8 dev

IMG_4836_RT-4.jpg.out.pp3 (18.8 KB)

2 Likes

IMG_4836.jpg.out.pp3 (15.4 KB)
Nice photo, makes me want to travel. RawTherapee-dev edition (Haze Removal, less cyan and purple, more red yellow and orange, sunlight on trees with Luminance-by-Hue in L*a*b, geometry adjustment).

4 Likes

I’m editing with the sunlight direct to my eyes…
not perfect.

Edit with Darktable 3.6

IMG_4836.CR2.xmp (10.2 KB)

All these elaborations and intepretations are interesting cause I alway have the temptation of setting exposure or lights and shadows to make everything as if was in clear daylight. I see instead that darker, misty or cloudy atmosphere also are nice, if not better!

rockies.on.cloudy.sky.pp3 (21.3 KB) RawTherapee 5.8 Development.

3 Likes

My version of GIMP and GMIC-Lab

Thanks for posting, refreshing shot
darktable 3.6

IMG_4836_01.CR2.xmp (14.1 KB)

2 Likes

Why if I open the image with your modification it looks all green?

IMG_4836-5.jpg.out.pp3 (15,7 KB)

1 Like

I’m all but sure that you are not using the latest RawTherapee version but probably the stable 5.8 version. That one is rather old and outdated, the development versions are rather stable and have lots of nice new goodies.

Download one of the latest. Don’t know what OS you use, so here you are:

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll try it!

IMG_4836.CR2.xmp (27.2 KB)

4 Likes

the mask separates the processing of the mountain from the sky.
I use “local contrast” to increase the contrast in the corresponding areas and to darken the highlights. (slider for opacity and parametric mask + mode normal, darken, multiply, overlay, softlight, hardlight)
many modules are standard for me. for example “astro denoise” and “lowpass filter” for color noise.

just play around with the parameters (switch modules on and off, opacity…) then i think you will find out very quickly what the modules do and how they react. :slight_smile:

1 Like

An attempt in GIMP to whiten the snow and darken the sky. It involved a great deal of cheating - do not look too closely!!!