RPD problems with Ubuntu 22.04

I upgraded to Ubuntu 22.04 last week and Rapid Photo Downloader was working with no issues on the new installation of Ubuntu,
but to day I can not get the program to run, just no response from RPD I think it could be due a Ubuntu upgrade in the last day or so.

From a terminal within the graphical desktop do this:

which rapid-photo-downloader

and copy and paste the output here

steven@steven-Laptop:~$ which rapid-photo-downloader
/home/steven/.local/bin/rapid-photo-downloader

With Ubuntu 22.04 you have two choices:

1. Continue using the version installed using the install.py script. To do this, you need to run the script again, because the version of Python on your system is now newer than the version you previously had. Not obvious, I know, but that’s how it is for now. Sorry about that.
  2. Uninstall the version installed using the install.py script, and install the program using apt or the software centre.

The advantage of option 1 is that future version updates will be automatically detected.

The advantage of option 2 is that it is installed for every user in your system, and all things being equal, is easier and more secure because there are less side effects from installing software libraries in the way the install.py script does (you have just seen one of those side-effects yourself, when you upgraded).

A disadvantage of option 2 is that you are stuck with that version for the lifespan of Ubuntu 22.04, unless I resurrect the PPA. When I recover from my typing injury, I would like to resurrect the PPA. But I cannot say when that will happen.

To take advantage of option 2:

python3 install.py --uninstall-including-pip-dependencies
sudo apt install rapid-photo-downloader
python3 -m pip install --user pyheif

The last command adds python support for HEIF/HEIC images, which Ubuntu does not ship with out-of-the-box. Important: do not use the prefix sudo on the third command.

Dear Damon

Thanks for your help, I have used option 1 and the program is working fine now.

Again Thank you

Kind Regards

Steven

1 Like