RPD with Samba share

Hi,

This is my first time trying to set up a workflow at all, let alone under Linux.
I already figured out how to mount my samba share properly, to see it in the destination tree.
However when I click on it (or any sub-folder) the selection just disappear, e.g. it does not select.

Screenshot from 2024-01-28 23-05-11

When clicking on either on the ‘samba_pics’ or ‘test folder’ nothing happens (actually the tree closes) and nothing is selected.

Do you have any idea what could go wrong?
Thanks!

Hi, @drcsorna, and welcome to the community!

Taking account that you’re using Linux, do the files you’re wishing to access have the correct permissions set?

I think so, and since I am quite new to Linux indeed, combined with debugging I set the folder to 777. But even with that, once I select the mounted folder in the picture from the 1st post, it just resets itself (closing the ticks, etc.)

Here is my samba share permissions from cockpit.

And this is what the tree defaults back once I click on ‘samba_pics’

I have no other issue accessing this samba drive from other locations from within Linux, and also from mac or Windows.

Rapid Photo Downloader will not allow you to choose download destinations that cannot be written to. One thing the program could do better in this situation is provide feedback regarding what has gone wrong.

I don’t know what cockpit is. I have no idea how you have tried to mount the samba share. But I can tell you with 99% certainty that something is not right with the setup. To investigate further, try to use the command line to copy a file into the share, from the Linux system.

Cockpit is a a GUI for podman containers (like docker). I’m confused into what the OP is doing. Is the samba trying to share a container folder?

Forgive me for jumping off topic, but I just wanted to mention, @damonlynch, that I just watched the intro video What War Does to a Survivor’s Sense of Time on your website. Fasinating! I’ll certainly look forward to reading your dissertation. :+1:

1 Like

I think it should be writable, at least I am able to use it in any other circumstances, as I wrote.

My idea was - and again, I am quite new to this -, that I can use RPD to move CR2 files from SD card into the samba share. Then point Darktable to the same location, and start working on the files from there.

You should mount the share using the mount command; then any app should be able to read and write data there, as your OS will handle the share transparently.

Thanks, I should elaborated more on this, but this is actually how I stumbled upon to this forum.
I am using the following command:

sudo mount -t cifs -o username=drcsorna //192.168.68.144/memories ~/samba_pics/

1 Like