RT 5.1 crashing - mostly on zoom

@porchard a small tip, to open a command prompt in the 5.2 folder, you can also navigate to C:\Programs\Ratherapee, then right mouse click on the 5.2 folder while pressing the shift key at the same time, you’ll see in the context menu a line with something like “open a command prompt in this folder”.

1 Like

@sguyader Excellent, thanks…!

Despite all the years I’ve been using Windows, I’d never noticed that! :roll_eyes:

@sguyader thank you, the new build is live:
http://rawtherapee.com/releases_head/windows/RawTherapee_5.2_WinVista_64.zip

Note that AboutThisBuild.txt in the zip said that it was a debug build, but I verified that it contains both release and debug executables (and gdb.exe). I edited AboutThisBuild accordingly.

1 Like

Regarding AboutThisBuild.txt it’s a mistake: I had started to recompile RT, starting with the Debug build, but stopped the process to just repackage the already built binaries. Thus, the AboutThisBuild.txt was that of the unfinished Debug build.
But in regular building processes, the correct Release version of AboutThisBuild.txt is produced and picked by the packaging script.

Ok… this is frustrating! I’ve been running RT under gdb.exe as described above, and despite trying (many times over) absolutely everything which caused RT to crash before, I just can’t make it crash now. :confused:

Is there any other useful course of action?

I don’t know… But if running the debug build from gdb doesn’t slow down your workflow too much, keep doing that, it may finally crash at some point.

Ok, thanks. It does make it much slower, but I’ll keep going with it.

I’ll post again if/when it does crash again, but on the evidence from yesterday, it might be some time.

1 Like

Me neither ! Thanks @sguyader :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok - yet more frustration.

After hours of trying (and failing) to make RT crash when running under gdb.exe, I reverted to running RT normally. I opened a raw file, and it crashed within probably less than a minute of opening the file. So short was the time-scale for this, that I remembered everything that I’d done with that image file.

I then opened RT under gdb.exe again, opened the same raw file, and carried out the same operations… it ran perfectly, with NO CRASH. :confused:

Any more suggestions?

It’s nothing unusual, because “debug” builds do some things differently to “release” builds.

Two things you could try:

1. You could try a “relwithdebinfo” build if @sguyader is up to the task of making one.
  2. You could try running the “release” build through GDB just as you did the “debug” build. If it crashes the output won’t be as useful, but maybe we get lucky.

Not helpful in any way, but maybe interesting: you’re experiencing a heisenbug.

3 Likes

Ok - will do.

Interesting - I’d never heard of this, but thanks for the link.

@porchard here’s a RelWithDebInfo executable (just the executable, not the full package): https://filebin.net/oaotxgmm7lhbpg89
Extract here in the main installation folder.
I hope this helps.

1 Like

Thanks for this. :smile:

I downloaded it into the RT folder (5.2), ran it and loaded a Raw file. After about five minutes of carrying out various actions on the file, the program crashed while zooming!!

The only problem now is: where is the crash information? I can’t see a log file anywhere.

you need to run this from gdb to get the backtrace – assuming this is sufficient. given the info you provided, I suspect there’s some access to uninitialised memory (perhaps a buffer overflow) which gets ‘masked’ when running via gdb, perhaps because that memory portion is filled eg. with zeros in that case. this is all speculation though – unfortunately I don’t have Windows so I can’t test

This explains how to get a log file:
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/How_to_write_useful_bug_reports#Step_by_step

I’m possibly being a bit dim here, but I thought that the idea of the RelWithDebInfo download was that it would run outside gdb.exe, since I can’t get the crash to happen under gdb? :confused:

No, it needs to run through GDB, but there is a chance that it will crash where the debug build would not.

It might be GDB which is preventing the crash, or it might be that the debug build is built differently to the release build. It won’t hurt to try the RelWithDebInfo build under GDB, and if that doesn’t crash, then you can try the release build under GDB. If that doesn’t crash, then we’re boned :]

Ok - got it.

I’ll try that, and if it fails to produce something useful, I’ll stop bothering everyone! :wink: