RT dehaze (Haze removal) module

The current RT dev branch has a reviewed and enhanced Haze removal module.

On my system it’s ~2.5x speed now and memory usage of Haze removal is also reduced. It also got the Luminance mode from ART.

That was a nice ping-pong between Alberto and me. I stole some of his code (for example the Luminance mode), but also showed him some speedups and we found and fixed some bugs.
Just perfect :slight_smile:

Here’s an example of the new Luminance mode I stole from ART

First screenshot left without Haze removal, right Haze removal in standard mode

Now left again without Haze removal, right Haze removal in luminance mode

Another one, again left without Haze removal, right with Haze removal in standard mode

Now left again without Haze removal, right with Haze removal in luminance mode

14 Likes

Very nice @heckflosse and @agriggio. Looking forward to using it.

(Reminds me to work on my even-better™ dehaze filter but it is woefully slow and buggy.)

So if I had to sum up luminance mode, is that it avoids the color tone shift that happens in standard mode. :+1:

1 Like

About speed: The current dehaze implementation in RT needs a bit less than one second to dehaze a 50 MPixel file on my rusty 8-core from 2013

I learnt something from your discussion on kernels but we all know that the G’MIC filter will never be at those speeds. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I can only make it relatively fast given the constraints of the interpreter.

Fantastic, very useful that is preserves the color much closer.

I tried the new luminosity dehaze and it worked well.
I have no idea how the coding is done, but would it be easy to separate dehaze into 2 different sliders? One for the old method and one for luminosity? I think that using primarily the luminosity one and then a touch of the old method would yeild nice results.
Thoughts?