RT-git loses sidecars and all edits.

This has already happened several times.

I would process and image today, shut down my computer, return to RT tomorrow and all edits are gone. No sidecar file to be found. Photo is restored to original/neutral state.

I haven’t found a way to reproduce it, but it has happened about four times in the last couple of days.

Version: 5.8-2660-gf7f527d95
Branch: makepkg
Commit: f7f527d95
Commit date: 2020-11-12
Compiler: cc 10.2.0
Processor: x86_64
System: Linux
Bit depth: 64 bits
Gtkmm: V3.24.2
Lensfun: V0.3.95.0
Build type: Release
Build flags: -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -std=c++11  -Werror=unused-label -Werror=delete-incomplete -fno-math-errno -Wall -Wuninitialized -Wcast-qual -Wno-deprecated-declarations -Wno-unused-result -Wunused-macros -fopenmp -Werror=unknown-pragmas -O3 -DNDEBUG -ftree-vectorize
Link flags: -Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now
OpenMP support: ON
MMAP support: ON
Build OS: Linux 5.9.3-1-MANJARO x86_64
Build date: Sun, 15 Nov 2020 08:45:16 +0000 UTC
Build epoch: 1605429916
Build UUID: 3906ae5c-5dc0-46d4-b8d4-6e0914b40f07

Bug reports should be filed in the GitHub tracker please

Uhm… I never quite understood how gihub works. I can’t even find the RT bug-tracker.

Here you are:

This is still an issue. Often times, I will edit a few photos, close down the program and upon opening it again, the last edited photo will lose all edits.

Using the latest available package in the AUR.

Do you close RT while still in the Editor window? More often than not, the edits are not quickly saved into the pp3 file, so your best bet may be going to the File Browser tab before closing RT. That way you force a pp3 update.

By the way, you can also do that from time to time while performing a long edit session, so in case of a power outage or an app crash, you won’t loose all your work.

1 Like

Just to be clear: Leave the edit tab(s) open while doing this, right? Closing the edit tab would otherwise be very inadvisable; You’ll loose your history and snapshots, which I find completely unacceptable.

Anyway, finding out why Radu runs into this issue is the more important issue at hand.

@zerosapte : Did you file a bug report 18 months ago when this issue first arose? I cannot find it, but then again, you might have a different handle in GitHub.

No, I filed a bug report just now, like an hour ago.

In Single Editor Tab Mode there’s no way to close the Editor tab, to my knowledge, but yes, while in a long editing session, it’s about going to the File Browser tab and back to the Editor.

And when leaving RT, it would be unacceptable, but you loose your history no matter what you do.

I’ve always seen this issue as a «feature», so RT doesn’t have to constantly update the pp3 file, but if it’s a bug, you’re right the best place to handle it is in github.

This is still an issue almost two years later. If I close RT without switching off of my last-edited image, while still in editor view, on next open of the program, said image will have lost all edits and no sidecar file will have been created.

I had the same problem until I changed the preference to both the cache and next input file. Though, I’m not sure if that is the best solution. One thing I have changed in my workflow is to never close RT without first clearing the editor of the files I have worked on.

1 Like

That is a good tip, however, once you reboot, I expect the cache is cleared.

I’m sure that it is not cleared after a reboot. It looks like it would be handled in preferences.

From RawPedia: The RawTherapee cache folder contains sets of cached items, where each set consists of:

a thumbnail,
metadata,
a sidecar file,
and optionally an embedded profile.

By default, RawTherapee keeps up to 20 000 cached sets.

Am I missing something? I just reset an image to neutral, switched to file browser, quit rt. Then started rt opened the file radically lowered exposure and added a local edit before quitting ctrl+q straight from editor tab. No visit to file browser.

Upon starting rt and opening the image my edits are still there. This is in single editor tab mode, vertical tabs.

Try with a file never before opened in RT. Even then I can’t guarantee it will happen.

I cannot reproduce this at will. It does happen pretty rarely, I’d say once every 10-15 time but still often enough to make it a PITA.

ah sorry, I missed that it was an intermittent thing.

@nosle I don’t think you are missing anything. I don’t have to go to file browser in order to save any of my edits.