RT: No spot removal tool?

Am I just blind or is this tool really missing?
I realize that flat fields can be of some use in this regard but, of course, it’s not the same thing.

2 Likes

Local editing is not possible yet.

@the-old-david, that’s a tool that would be nice to have, even if it was a simple one. A basic clone tool? Hey but there is always GIMP.

For now it looks like a quick edit in your external editor is the way to go.

What I think is most critical for a real production environment would be a way to save and apply spot removal profiles. Sensor pixels drop and they are always in the same place. To be able to apply these to multiple images is critical. This is also extremely useful in HDR situations where the dust, drop-outs and image retouches need to be shared across multiple images.

This is probably the thing I would like the most in RawTherapee - a way to remove unwanted spots and mistakes (not sensor spots, but real physical spots, dirt, bruises, mistakes etc. on the motive) without having to bother going into an external editor. Also, having these things inside R.T. would mean you could store them losslessly in the .pp3 file the same way Adobe’s raw loader does it. That concept really works well.

Is this something the developers are considering in some far future, or is there a whole different approach that is being considered?

I’d love to hear a bit about the future plans for RawTherapee in this regard.

1 Like

Hello JoaCHIP:

Disclaimer: I am not a RawTherapee developer. Therefore, take my answer with a pinch of salt :slight_smile:

But yes, from what I have gathered this feature is already in the pipeline [1]
I suppose it is just not ready and stable at the moment to be released for everyone to test…

In the meantime, if you have some spare time, you might want to try PhotoFlow [2], or Darktable [3], where the Spot removal option is already available :slight_smile:

[1] Spot removal tool · Issue #2239 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub
[2] GitHub - aferrero2707/PhotoFlow: A fully non-destructive photo retouching program providing a complete layer-based workflow including RAW image development.
[3] http://www.darktable.org/

1 Like

I would add, for having tried many that the best I have found so far is in FastStone.
FastStone.org (free)

You could also have a look at Lightzone (http://lightzoneproject.org), which also has a Spot removal tool.

:slight_smile:
Biff

Yeah, as Adobe Dng Converter does not work on Linux, we should always remind people to use windows :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sorry, it might be to late here, but I don’t understand this mixture of Adobe, LightZone and Windows.

not too late :slight_smile: It was meant as an analogy, not as a mixture :wink:

Edit: let me explain:

someone misses a feature like converting raw files to dng in linux, suggested solution is to use Windows

another one misses a feature like spot removal in rt. suggested solution is to use a different raw converter

I see now, what you meant, sorry again, it is obviously too late for me, time to go.

(But LightZone’s rather old and simple, but quite efficient usage of “regions” might be worth a view, as you already know …)

Good night!

Edit: it was a “same second” posting, all is well!

1 Like

I did not know, but I will take a look :slight_smile:
Good night :slight_smile:

Guess what I found in my images tonight? A dirty great spot.

Guess what I googled next? “rawtherapee spot removal”.

Found the issue on github: Spot removal tool · Issue #2239 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub

Read through the issue and it’s clear this is a fairly complex task.

So I tentatively ask… does any of the devs think this is something that can be solved in RT?

Hombre already answered that in the last post:

That’s where it stands for now.

Any news concerning the spot removal tool within RT?
This would be a great enhancement of RT.

Branch spot-removal-tool last had dev merged in a year ago. I don’t know if @Hombre is still developing it.

@HIRAM Yes, I’m still developing it, and it should be considered as done. In fact there’s still a minor caveat to solve, but the tool is functional now. This is in fact a cloning tool, so might be renamed.

Please test the spot-removal branch. And see here for instructions.

Do NOT share the samples images, I don’t have the agreement of the model.

5 Likes

I just tested the spot removal branch, which in fact is more a healing than a removal (which is good). Works fine and is easy to use :+1:

3 Likes

This is great news!!! The examples look super promising. Is there a binary download somewhere, or is it necessary to compile this thing in order to try it out? (Sorry that I’m such a github noob.)