RT: No spot removal tool?

Yeah, as Adobe Dng Converter does not work on Linux, we should always remind people to use windows :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sorry, it might be to late here, but I don’t understand this mixture of Adobe, LightZone and Windows.

not too late :slight_smile: It was meant as an analogy, not as a mixture :wink:

Edit: let me explain:

someone misses a feature like converting raw files to dng in linux, suggested solution is to use Windows

another one misses a feature like spot removal in rt. suggested solution is to use a different raw converter

I see now, what you meant, sorry again, it is obviously too late for me, time to go.

(But LightZone’s rather old and simple, but quite efficient usage of “regions” might be worth a view, as you already know …)

Good night!

Edit: it was a “same second” posting, all is well!

1 Like

I did not know, but I will take a look :slight_smile:
Good night :slight_smile:

Guess what I found in my images tonight? A dirty great spot.

Guess what I googled next? “rawtherapee spot removal”.

Found the issue on github: Spot removal tool · Issue #2239 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub

Read through the issue and it’s clear this is a fairly complex task.

So I tentatively ask… does any of the devs think this is something that can be solved in RT?

Hombre already answered that in the last post:

That’s where it stands for now.

Any news concerning the spot removal tool within RT?
This would be a great enhancement of RT.

Branch spot-removal-tool last had dev merged in a year ago. I don’t know if @Hombre is still developing it.

@HIRAM Yes, I’m still developing it, and it should be considered as done. In fact there’s still a minor caveat to solve, but the tool is functional now. This is in fact a cloning tool, so might be renamed.

Please test the spot-removal branch. And see here for instructions.

Do NOT share the samples images, I don’t have the agreement of the model.

5 Likes

I just tested the spot removal branch, which in fact is more a healing than a removal (which is good). Works fine and is easy to use :+1:

3 Likes

This is great news!!! The examples look super promising. Is there a binary download somewhere, or is it necessary to compile this thing in order to try it out? (Sorry that I’m such a github noob.)

It would be nice if it was as efficient as FastStone’s…

Do you have an algorithm to provide ? I’m open to make this spot healing tool as efficient as possible, but I’m only a GUI guy and rely on code sample for the engine part. Maybe @heckflosse or @agriggio know where to find that ?

Hi everyone,

I’m curious to know if this feature is anywhere on the roadmap :smiley:
I’m very interested in this tool, especially when it comes to despeckling film scans - it would be much more convenient than opening in an external editor such as GIMP or darktable.
Thanks.

If they are small specks, you may want to try impulse noise reduction.

It has been implemented in ART (a fork of RT) if you want to try it out.

1 Like

At this time RT could be said to be in a feature development phase.

1. @desmis has produced a pull request to merge the newlocallab into dev, the main development branch of RT.
    Local adjustments - improvments of GUI - improve Wavelet pyramid by Desmis · Pull Request #5728 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub
  2. If @Hombre is ready, now would be an opportune moment to make a PR for the spot-removal-tool clone/healer tool.
4 Likes

I just tried one of the nightly builds, and spot removal is indeed included, and I’m a bit ecstatic about it to be honest.

It works super well!

If this goes into the next official release, it’s gonna be a game changer IMHO.

As it’s in dev, you can be quite sure it will be in next official release.

2 Likes