RT output profiles for printing jpgs (i.e., 8 bit)?

Hi Folks,

Hope everyone had a great holiday–Christmas or whatever you celebrate! Sadly, I have been away from this great community for a while (sadly) due to being very busy with work, and (happily) also due to a lot of travel this year, including a month’s vacation in Spain. I have done a lot of shooting this year, but very little post-processing. (As such, my knowledge of RT, etc. begins to degrade!) I shoot raw (NEF) with my cameras (D7200 or D50) and jpg with my phone (android device). I use RT 5.9 for raw development. At this point, it is time to churn out another one of my yearly calendars (“Spain 2024”) , just for my own use and a few to give away. Due to being far behind on things, I’m just going to do a quick and dirty with Shutterfly–i.e., sending in high-res jpgs.

I have set up a “MyBase” profile as recommended by Andy Astbury (dual demosaicing, capture sharpening, defringing, etc.). In checking the Working Profile, I see that it is set to ProPhoto. I understand (from RawPedia) that this is the default working space, and generally should not be changed. (I do have a wide-gamut BENQ monitor.)

However, I am wondering what would be your choice of output profile and rendering intent? I think I used RTv4_sRGB last year. Is that the best choice here (jpgs to send along to Shutterfly)? Any other advice in this vein, or for calendars in general would be of interest.

Thanks!

According to RawPedia,

The recommended output profile when you’re saving to an 8-bit format and/or publishing to the web is RTv4_sRGB.

I agree sRGB is usually a good choice. The exception is if you need something specific like a larger gamut. Some applications can’t read v4 profiles. In that case, use the v2 sRGB profile.

For the rendering intent, I say go with relative colorimetric because it’s closest to what-you-see-is-what-you-get. Sometimes you may want to use perceptual if you want to gracefully bring all colors in gamut and you are ok with the colors getting changed. The Wikipedia section on rendering intents has a nice summary.