Rubus fruticosus. Heat and pain

I appreciate your comments, Luke. I am almost always aiming for a realistic interpretation of the scene as I envision that it may have been in “real life”.

Thought I would try adding a little green to the leaves. Still learning how to get masks to work for me.

1 Like

Which software is that?

Interesting Play here!
My try using RT 5.9 dev. I tried to isolate the leaf by colour and desaturate/darken the rest

_1010355_RT-3.jpg.out.pp3 (15.6 KB)

3 Likes

Your English is just fine.

1 Like

I think you don’t have the basics of the masking power. Do you use Darktable?
If so, and if you have no problem understanding English spoken language go through the videos listed in this page: resources | darktable [the list is at the end of the web page].

If you are not using Darktable let us know which software you have adopted. I’m also a newbie here, but if I can be of any help… just ask.

2nd try with more oomph :tm: (Dynamic Rance Compression)

_1010355_RT-4.jpg.out.pp3 (15.6 KB)

I am using darktable 4.2.0. I am still learning dt, masking and all.

@Dicky: You can download Lightlover’s .XMP file Rubus fruticosus. Heat and pain - #13 by lightlover and load this sidecar file using the module “History stack” in Lighttable.
Once you open the .RW2 in Darkroom you’ll find the history of his processing, including the drawn and parametric masks he created. In the history stack you have to go to Color balance RGB, there you can see a parametric mask that delimits a certain hue range (click the tab “hz” for the hue channel; please note that he “blending option” of the masks must be set as “RGB (scene)” to have the “hz” tab accessible). With that mask active he was able to change the chroma and other parameters of the leaf.
Lightlover created also 4 drawn masks just to exclude from the influence of the parametric mask other red areas that are present in the photo and he didn’t want to edit.

Like you I’m a beginner too and try to learn from others. I hope I haven’t written anything wrong in my description of the process followed by Lightlover, but if I have said something incorrect I ask @Lightlover to correct me.

EDIT: Forgot to say that if you don’t want to loose your own edit history you have to save a copy of your sidecar file .XMP somewhere else before opening the file with Lightlover’s history applied.

2 Likes

You are right, perfect analysis. Very quick mask thanks to mask feathering and/or mask blurring plus blending adjustments. The four drawn masks are very loose too for the same reason.

2 Likes

A pinch of this, a dash of that, stir, and bake.
_1010355_07.RW2.xmp (22.3 KB)
darktable-4.3.0+369

4 Likes