Rubus fruticosus. Heat and pain

Pixls.us’s “Play Raw” is a wonderful opportunity for me to resume taking pictures after many years away. Above all, because I’m just a simple enthusiast who has recently bought a pocket camera and had few opportunities to exploit it in the past two months, but which he already likes.

One of my first shots with the DC-LX100 II was during a walk in the near mountains.

Here, we are in the area of the so-called “Bostel” on the Asiago plateau (Veneto region, Italy), a fascinating area under many points of view. For instance, due to the presence of human settlements dating back to the Iron Age, or because it’s a border area between the Southern part of the plateau and the two valleys that outline its perimeter.

Around me the landscape seems to have stood still for centuries. Everywhere there are dry stone walls, and a black earth on which the famous mountain potatoes are grown. The
lianas of Clematis vitalba climbing the vast variety of trees in a mixed forest, which was miraculously spared from the destruction of the Great War (and the reconstruction that followed it).

This shot, taken mid-morning on a sunny day, portrays nothing more than a thorny bramble leaf, reddened by the winter cold in January. It’s not a pretty picture, but it reflects the desire to exploit that warm red color to overcome the cold, stinging, and sometimes painful, experiences of our lives.

I started reaching Pixls.us recently and I know it (you) can teach me a lot about how to rekindle my passion for photography. And in terms of RAW editing Pixls.us is a worthy school. If you’re feeling in the spirit, have your own interpretation of this warm, stinging leaf. Feel free to express yourself as you like. I don’t publish my XMP here so as not to influence you too much. Thank you.

This file is licensed as CC0.

EDIT: Sorry for my English… I feel there’s something wrong in what I wrote, the way I wrote it, but tonight I’m too tired and lazy to take action and correct it all the way.

_1010355.RW2 (19.4 MB)

7 Likes

I love leaf textures, so here I go; all done in rawproc, my hack software, so the terminology won’t look like what you’d do in dt/RT…

One of the things where I think leaf textures work well is in monochrome, so I set out to do that. Did a normal process with a standard filmic curve, then added the gray tool. Got the best contrast using only the blue channel. Then, decided to go for more contrast, so I put in an additional curve, control point, and aggressively increased the slope:

So then, I decided to see how that tone treatment would look in color:

I think the color contrast helps to separate the subject plant from the background.

13 Likes

Amazing! I love the metal look of your B/W.

1 Like

Nice to know about rawproc (I suppose it’s this GitHub - butcherg/rawproc: Raw camera and general image processor). I’ll have a look at it.
Thanks.

1 Like

When I wrote my gray tool, I spent some time making sliders for each of the three channels’ contribution to the grayscale. Didn’t really think much about actually using it, but it’s turned out to be the first thing I do with any of my monochromes. Here, the red and green sliders are zeroed-out and blue is max-ed to the right, drives all those purplish-reddish tones to black.

Monochrome is fun, you can do things that would just drive the colors to garishness…

rawproc is a 16-gear double-clutch Kenworth, where dt and RT are auto-transmission Mercedes. You’ll have to work at it, but you’ll have specific control over each and every tool applied to your raw file.

Let me know if you have questions…

Edit:
I usually forget I did a couple of videos on using it:

rawproc Tour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdZDNPGAtBU
rawproc Basic Processing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17I-ek8IEbM

1 Like

Thanks for your image and post! I liked your description of the area and the image.

I’ve produced a rather warm and contrasty version, which I like, but may be verging on too much color for some. I like the lines created by the shadows of the fence. I t suggests a path, maybe it is, but I think it leads the eye around the frame nicely.
On a side note, I’m impressed with the files from that little panasonic. Very sharp and good dynamic range too!
_1010355.RW2.xmp (13.5 KB)

7 Likes

And Lightroom is a hybrid electric toyota! :grin:

1 Like

I went for a more subdued look in monochrome, but was keen to bring out the thorns on a plant that is regarded as “invasive” in Australia. (So badly so that I’ve seen some several metres high in our “high country”.)

I think I could have boosted contrast a little more (and I did this, and it’s included in the sidecar file) but I was a little concerned about the holes in the leaves standing out too much, whereupon “they just didn’t look right.” I wanted the thorn to be nicely prominent. I also thought a crop was a good thing.

_1010355.RW2.xmp (7.0 KB)

If anyone loads the sidecar file alongside the original image, then the topmost entry in the history stack has the contrast/brightness/saturation boost I mentioned.

3 Likes

Nice interpretation. Also I, in this case, would have focused on vivid colors (but I have to say that @ggbutcher’s B&W is even more vivid than red). You have seen correctly: the fence delimits the beginning of the path which then enters a wood at first sparse, sometimes interrupted by meadow basins where in summer almost wild cows graze, and then thicker and darker between beech, fir and pine trees .

2 Likes

My version…

_1010355.RW2.xmp (26.2 KB)

6 Likes

Wow! Looks like it came out of a jeweler’s workshop.

2 Likes

_1010355.RW2.xmp (14.7 KB)

Magnifico e selvaggio l’altopiano di Asiago… :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Complimenti, hai isolato molto bene la foglia di rovo dallo sfondo, ottenendo un bell’effetto.
Congratulations, you have isolated the bramble leaf from the background very well, obtaining a nice effect.

1 Like

@ggbutcher: Compiled and installed just now. I haven’t used it until now though, since I’ll need some time to go through your videos and make some tests.

Thank you!

EDIT: corrected a mispelled word.

1 Like

My try with dt 4.2, sigmoid.

_1010355.RW2.xmp (6.7 KB)

5 Likes

My try.

_1010355.RW2.xmp (10.0 KB)

5 Likes

Thank you, @Tim. I always love your interpretations because you tread lightly, you never overuse the powerful tools you have in your hands. You fix a thing or two by reasoning about it, but you never push the boundaries of what is believable and what is not. The final look is always as natural as it could be. I’m made of the same substance as you.
At the same time I also love to see some “extreme” cooking made by others and sometimes I also like to play with the super-power of the digital.

To me, you represent the oak firmly anchored to the ground. You are a certainty, a secure term of comparison.

2 Likes

Very nice, too. You captured the very hardly perceivable blue reflections of the sky in the leaf.
I like it.

1 Like

I agree with your words.

2 Likes