Running NX Studio under wine??

Because darktable does not yet support the High Efficiency RAW formats on the Nikon Z9, I tried installing NX Studio on Linux (Fedora latest stable) using wine, but it is a self-extracting executable, and ends up displaying a dialog saying something like “This software does not run on your operating system”.
Does anyone have an idea if this can be done?

Could you use a vm instead of wine??

No, I don’t think so as I don’t have windows software.

You can often download images that last for various periods of time. They come from Microsoft and are for the purposes of testing etc with VM’s… I can likely track down the link if you want to try…. Might hold you over until you get support for that format if that is the roadblock…

1 Like

Sometimes it helps to change the emulate windows version in wine. This can be done in a GUI using winecfg

From WineHQ (about v1.0.0):

What works

NX Studio works after applying the described workaround

What does not

• NX Studio doesn’t install

• Native Language doesn’t seem to be available

Workarounds

Installer initially aborts.

It runs with Flag /silent But even with /silent it doesn’t install NX Studio, but several other requirements.

wine S-NXSTDO-010000WF-ALLIN-ALL___.exe /silent

After silent installation I copied the whole NXStudio-Folder from an
existing Windows 10 virtual machine into ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/

from there I am able to start NXStudio.exe

wine NXStudio.exe

NXStudio is running okay. Seems to be a bit slow but I have no idea how fast it is on a native Windows.

What was not tested

• Transfer from SD/XQD Card to HD

Hardware tested

Graphics:

• GPU: Nvidia
  • Driver: proprietary

We can download a test version of Windows to run in a VM. It’s official and no purchase or license is required.
The Windows Insider Program, The Windows Insider Program

@Colin_Adams these are what I was talking about above… hopefully you get yourself a solution…

1 Like

It doesn’t work.

I get permission denied trying to read the iso, even though I have given read and execution permissions on the directory and .iso file. (This is using KVM/QEMU. I also get a warning that kvm is not started)
This is all too difficult. I’m going to abandon the attempt.

I persisted with the wine route, but it is getting all too difficult.
I found I had to isnatal the vc runtime. But after that the program aborts.

It’s just all too frustrating.

Must be frustrating… not sure if this source is any different but you could try one of these iso’s…

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-10-enterprise#Get-started

Why not just use the normal raw format?

Your install suggestions/method work perfect. I just navigate to the .exe file and double click. It opens and runs fine. Not to slow on my machine. Thanls for sharing this.

Well, I do. But it limits the number of shots available in the high-speed buffer. I shall have to buy a faster card (was probably going to do that anyway, to raise the limit, but still there are times when I would appreciate HE*)

Update.
I managed to get a developer’s release from Download a Windows virtual machine - Windows app development | Microsoft Developer working under virtual box, but it is time-limited. And NX Studio “runs” under it. But it is all rather a pain to use. Not quite sure the best way to get the files into the VM, as it couldn’t see my card reader.

Still, I know that if I feel a strong need to produce HE* files with my Z9, I can do so and will be able to process them at great effort.

Maybe shared folder.

Indeed that works perfectly - I share my Pictures folder. Then rather than using NX Studio, I use the much more convemtient Adobe DNG Converter, associating it with .NEF files. Then all I have to do is double click on the file, click Convert, and I have a DNG file ready to import into darktable (which I am happy to observe handles these files just fine).
My only remaining problem would be if when the MS Windows developers Virtual Box image expires in April, will there be another one to replace it. I shall find out then. If there is, then on the Z9’s shooting bank that I use at 20 fps, I shall change the RAW Recording option to High Efficiency*. That way I have a low-friction way to use these smaller files, and I will be able to shoot long sequences (longer than 4 seconds) when I need to.