RW2 files turn pink? Help! Thanks

My computer is having issues opening that, the Panasonic one. I’m trying again but I can’t seem to find it when I search in rawtherapee.

So is there anything I can do about my camera so that it shows me what it’s actually shooting? It’s frustrating to look on my iPhone app while shooting, and on the camera, and even seeing the RW2 files when I’m importing, and think they’re fine, when they’re actually not.

What do you mean with “that”. If you mean the …pp3 file, this is not a picture, it’s a file which contains all processing steps @Morgan_Hardwood has done to make the picture look like this.
Open YOUR picture and load the “P1020405.RW2.pp3” file by clicking on the “Load Profile” button.

Probably not. It’s not a professional camera, and even those lie. But that shouldn’t stop you from taking great photos. What you can do is shoot several bracketed test shots in different lighting conditions and compare the embedded JPEG to the real raw data which RawTherapee shows you, to learn how much your camera ‘lies’ and how much you should over-expose, and whether this difference is always the same or whether it changes depending on the light conditions.

Setting your camera to its most neutral settings may help, a tiny bit.

P.S. I am talking about minimizing noise in the real raw data, not about getting it to match the thumbnail or embedded preview.

off topic but congrats on the setup/poses/styling :slight_smile: looking great!

2 Likes

Nothing strange with the RAW data … normal 12bit file with White Level at 4095 (according to exif). Although indeed a 3 stops underexposure is present !!.
It would be interesting if we had the same frame/same settings but with a bright light source (a lamp or your smartphone’s display open and bright) included in one of the corners to see where exactly the RAW data clipping occurs … to be sure that it’s not a hidden 10bit mode …

But … given that the scene is a low DR one, and the -0.33EV detting selected, the low exposure selected by GX80 auto mode looks reasonable (it’s like with scenes with snow where all Cameras underexpose by around 2 stops).

What is strange is the jpeg brightening. I could not detect any strange setting (iDR) in exif … but it must be something about this (the settings about jpeg rendering) … maybe a “auto levels” setting is ON …

Have you tried opening it in another software? Try like this: http://www.aftershotpro.com/en/pages/rw2-file/ and see if it is a file issue, or it is damaged maybe.

Hi @David_Bridges, we generally like to solve our problems with free and open source software, so that our solutions are repeatable and sharable with constraints. Thus, many here will find that Corel After shot Pro, while I’m sure is a fine product, is not acceptable.

4 Likes

Sorry, I disappeared for a long time. Thanks for the suggestions… I’ve just been sticking to converting to DNGs and using them and I suppose it’s going OK. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hello guys,

I have almost the same issue with RT.
Here are:
my picture
P1051676.RW2 (34.7 MB)
file pp3:
P1051676.RW2.pp3 (11.7 KB)
and how I see it in RT after opening:
Screenshot 2021-07-15 204819

Best regards
Vladimir

With last dev version 5.8-3005

What is your OS?

1 Like

I use RT 5.7
Windows 10 Home 20H2 build 19042.1110

That’s ancient, given that 5.8 has been out for a long time (and we’re approaching the release of 5.9)

1 Like

Thank you, it worked!
It seems that old download page was indexed by google search engine, that’s why I’ve installed 5.7.
All the best <3
:slight_smile:
Can be closed.

@vladimirchtv Just a heads-up:

RawTherapee 5.8, the stable one linked to from RT’s home page, is also rather old. You might want to consider installing one of the later nightly builds, which are 99+% stable.

There are 2 places you can get one for Windows: here and here

1 Like

Thank you @Jade_NL for links, I see there are another 4 Persons who already used this links,
it seems it was helpful not only for me.
By the way I found nightly builds here: RTW64NightlyBuilds/ – Keybase.pub
but they are seems to be old.
Which nighly builds you’ve meant? Could you please leave a link as well.
Thank you!

The nightly builds should be build nightly, but they aren’t for reasons I can’t go into and I don’t have control over in any way.

I just gave 2 links that have more up-to-date Windows builds: gaaned92’s site has the most up-to-date version, 5.8_3009, at the moment and aferrero2707 has 5.8_2983. I would choose the newest version but both are a big step forward when compared to the “plain” 5.8 version.

If you want something recent, you have to use a development build.
RawTherapee_dev_5.8-3009-gd7f9e1f51_W64_generic_210705.7z takes into account the commits of dev branch until 5 of July 21. It doesn’t seem very old to me! :wink:

Note: You can choose also a version optimized to your processor architecture.

1 Like