Ryzen with integrated Radeon?

I need to upgrade my editing station. I found that there is an AMD CPU with a Radeon Vega integrated. On a budget, it looks way better to get this CPU and more RAM.
Is it worth it?

Kevin over at Pixovert YT channel has done some videos on these cpu’s …here is one…I am sure there are lots out there on the topic…RTX 3070 vs Ryzen 7 5700G vs Ryzen 5 5600G vs After Effects vs Premiere Pro - YouTube

1 Like

Are you planning on using OpenCL?

1 Like

Thanks Todd, good comparison.

Yeah @paperdigits why not, the integrated GPU has OpenCL support.

1 Like

On the other hand, 5700G only has Pcie 3.0 support. :slightly_frowning_face:

Which OS though? AMD OpenCL support is less than stellar, in my experience, on Linux. Hence me switching to an Nvidia GTX 1660 instead of an AMD RX580 GPU.

1 Like

Yes, I am using Linux only. Everything is sold out, I have a hard time finding any graphics card at the moment above 2 GB RAM if it’s not a Radeon. I’ve found an RX550 that should have working OpenCL, but to what extent I believe you are a better source than Ze Internettz.
At least I’ve let integrated stuff go, sounds good but…

Even a GPU such as a 2GB Nvidia gt 1030 would be beneficial for Darktable.

Although perhaps see how the integrated GPU works for you with Darktable, you may find it’ll work ok.

My RX580 was mainly unstable when using it for very intensive OpenCL computations (40 minute long 3d fractal renders on the GPU). I never noticed an issue on it with Darktable though.

I think I’ll go for a Pcie4 compliant CPU (the Radeon integrated CPUs are Pcie3 only) and a cheap graphics card now. Thanks for your input!

1 Like

Hi! It’s a good choice. I’ve a Ryzen 5 3400g (with Vega 11 graphics), and after trying almost everything it became clear OpenCL will never work on Linux as per lack of support from AMD.
To share the long story:
a. OpenSource mesa drivers doesn’t have OpenCL support.
b. Proprietary drivers amdgpu-pro only support OpenCL for dedicated GPUs, plus they introduced issues with normal rendering at least in my setup (running on Ubuntu LTS).

All of that in case of working with Linux. When you use that in Windows, OpenCL cores “are there” and properly recognized by Darktable as well.

So if it’s within your budget, go for the dedicated GPU.

Have a good day!

2 Likes

because i’m no techie, just doing some raw photo stuff on this fedora machine, i took some googled recipes :slight_smile: and it feels sufficient

This is good, but @lomo question was about taking advantage of integrated Radeon in what AMD calls APU (that’s a CPU with integrated GPU on same chip, in other words a Ryzen CPU with a Radeon GPU).
Yours seems to be a dedicated graphics card, RX550.

Still valuable info and related (Me myself dragged the RX550 into the discussion).

2 Likes