Sanity Check on 4k Monitor

For about a year now I’ve been wanting to get a 4k monitor. Got my eye on this one as a nice compromise of size and cost along with being well calibrated for sRGB: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PC9HFO8/ref=wl_it_dp_v_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=F9JMI0L0NZW7&coliid=I138AVFKBC03LJ&psc=1

Main benefit I was thinking of was being able to see more of the image when zoomed closer to 100% and so getting a better idea of how the image looks without having to scroll around so much.

Auxiliary benefits of being able to see more thumbnails and more full-sized image while on the Light Table in Digikam.

Non-Pixls.us benefits: more room when video editing in Kdenlive and potentially to see final results editing 4k video in future.

Is the main benefit something that would be true? Or is there something I’m missing where scaling or something would make this not work the way I think it would?

here my opinion on the topic, in the hope it helps and provides to the discussion:

i was using an ultrasharp IPS panel (1920x1200 24", high gamut almost 100 % RGB space) for a long time and now got a second hand IPS panel 30" at 2560x1600 (high gamut). from time to time, i also edit photos on my mac laptop (15" at 2880x1800).

to get a 4k or higher resolving monitor is also something i am looking for - however, it should not cost too much while rendering colours right (much more important in photography in my eyes). a good IPS panel with enough colour spectrum and resolution coverage costs quite a bit and getting to 4k is (was?) for now not worth my money.

the higher resolution per mm^2 is really great when comparing a lot similar photos to pick out the right one, as my eyes pick the right one much quicker. having enough surface (30" over 24") is great to compare two photos side by side and see enough to make a decision.

both benefits you describe would be here with the monitor you found - actually i find it quite an interesting good priced high gamut monitor! checking some reviews and specs, i am wondering why this monitor is not a “ultrasharp” line monitor. seems quite like it from the specs.

I use a 4k monitor without scaling at all. When things on the web need to be bigger I just zoom in on the browser.

That gives me massive screen real estate for photo editing. However, note that RawTherapee and darktable and PhotoFlow will run slower on a 4k display because they have to push more pixels. (Filmulator always uses the full image so it runs the same irrespective of screen size.)

2 Likes