Sapajus nigritus helping me in my first color grading steps

Darktable developmental with Filmic, Color Balance RGB, and contrast equalizer with the new fancy details threshold masks :slight_smile:

Oh, and an instagram style crop…

Not sure if I am happy with the green of the leaves, so I didn’t push vibrancy…

DSZ_7522.NEF.xmp (15.5 KB)

1 Like

dt 3.4.1

DSC_8242.nef.xmp (8.9 KB)

3 Likes

Coupled rgb curves with filmic as log tone mapper only following discussion in this thread: ART vs dt basic processing
I like the results!

sapajus-DSC_8242_01.nef.xmp (13.7 KB)
dt 3.4.1

Q: Is there any way in darktable to see the post-crop image dimensions?

2 Likes

DSC_8242.nef.xmp (13.3 KB) DSC_8242_01.nef.xmp (13.3 KB)

2 Likes

1 Like

And now, in honour of Jacques Abstract Profile, a Rawtherapee version.

sapajus-DSC_8242.nef.pp3 (11.7 KB)
rt 5.8

1 Like

I edited intuitively. The way I think it looks best:

DSC_8242_04.nef.xmp (17,9 KB)

daktable 3.5.0~git2254.1f105ca20e-1

1 Like

sapajus.nigritus.pp3 (15.4 KB) RawTherapee 5.8 (Development)

RawTherapee has a new feature [RawPedia] (Thanks Jacques and consorts !) and I wanted to give it a try. Not sure yet how it interacts with the rest, so this is a bit of a test run.

EDIT: Fixed a slight magenta cast.

1 Like

DSC_8242.nef.xmp (15.9 KB)

3 Likes

Still not sure either.
I disabled all modules and started turning them on one by one and noticed that the most offending one was haze removal (which isn’t even needed for this image). Disabling it, however, didn’t completely removed the artifacts.
Anyway, this was an xmp file originally produced by dt 3.4.1. When I duplicated the image and started from scratch, trying to reach the same strong colored, contrast result, it didn’t show the artifacts.

DSC_8242_01.nef.xmp (27.2 KB)

Neither would I :smiley: These guys know how to put pressure on us, up to a point where a lady felt so menaced that she threw her popcorn bag away. And here he/she goes.
DSC_8337

1 Like

DSC_8242.nef.xmp (19.5 KB)

3 Likes

Nice work. The leaves look very natural.

1 Like

Same crop but developed in b&w.

DSC_8242_01.nef.xmp (30.5 KB)

3 Likes

Two tips…blend dehaze in lightness. Instead of dehaze you can try a tone curve module. No edit just blend it in subtract and use low opacity. For me this works better on the tone curve vs the rgb curve for some reason the effect is more pronounce. Back to artifact I would bet its filmic and then likely enhanced by dehaze. If you drop the default 10% mid tone boost right away you will likely see an impact and second cycle through the color preservation modes in filmic…I am sure you will also find contributions here…I start with both set to zero and if the image needs it then I add them. Doing it this way I can see exactly what changes are introduced and then you have a much better feel for the contribution…

Hover in the middle of the image…

That doesn’t work for me, but clicking anywhere on the image, inside or outside the crop, works for me.

1 Like

Sorry you are right it was a click. I was going from memory and knew it was a mouse action to activate the dimensions box in the middle of the crop… eg image

Thanks for sharing.

dt 3.5.0, sigmoid, colorbalancergb

crop inspired by @ggbutcher

DSC_8242_02.nef.xmp (15.9 KB)

2 Likes

My version with darktable 3.5 master using

• filmic defaults with slightly increased contrast
  • color calibration for colorfulness and selective brightness
  • exposure for artistic vignette
  • contrast equalizer for sharpening
  • tone equalizer for local contrast with new detail mask
  • color balance rgb (master tab only) to increase vibrance, chroma, brilliance

the overexposed highlights in the brown leave above the ape could be reconstructed by good old “highlights reconstruction” module with reconstruct in color.

DSC_8242.nef.xmp (11,0 KB)

3 Likes

Here is my second low-contrast edit. With dt 3.5.

DSC_8242.nef.xmp (14.5 KB)

1 Like