Saved image different to preview (caused by Noise Reduction)

Hi everybody,

first of all sorry for my english.
I’m new to this amazing software and photography in general, so I apologise if my question
is stupid.

In general after adjusting and processing the raw file with RT i use a viewer to see the output jpegs.
The viewer I use is IrfanView.

I noticed that if I zoom the image 100% in the viewer and I compare it with the image at 1:1 scale in RT, the image in the viewer is less sharp than the one in RT and is also less detailed.(the details seem to be more blurred)

What is the reason for that?

Thank you

Hi!

A screenshot of your problem would be helpful. Like this:

Hi Jacal,

this is the picture…

I know the original image is not very good, but you can still notice the difference. On the left side IrfanView , on the right side RawTherapee

I don’t think IrfanView is the culprit here, but I would, to exclude it, try to open the jpg also with some other image viewer.

What settings did you use to export the jpg? Try with quality 95 or more, without subsampling.

I can see the problem on your screenshot, but does mine look OK to your possibly sharper eyes?

@Ivan_M76 please share the raw file and the PP3 using https://filebin.net/

Quick guess: either your JPEG compression is too strong, or noise reduction causes the difference.

Maybe working color space and output color space are different?

I render jpeg with 100% Quality and subsampling best Quality…the example that you posted looks ok to me

Hi Hiram,
the camera shoots in AdobeRGB color space and for the output i use RT_sRGB. I also try to change these settings but the difference form the viewer and RT is still visible. I tried also with another viewer (XnViewer)…same story

Please attach the pp3 file you used to process your file

Hi morgan,

here you are…

https://filebin.net/4owu04fqrbrywxde

you will find the raw file, the pp3 file and the output jpeg… thank you!

Hi Heckflosse,

https://filebin.net/4owu04fqrbrywxde

in the zip file there is the raw file, the pp3 and the output jpeg

thank you

You have quite a combination of Wavelet, Detail and other tools, that might lead to an inaccurate 100 % preview. I’m sure the RT experts will give you an interesting and useful explanation soon. Be well!

1 Like

The pp3 provided seemed really really different than the output for me, different crop, colors. The jpg provided looked more like unprocessed?

Hi Hiram,

when I processed the jpeg I check the"save pp3 with output" option…so the jpeg is exactly the output of that pp3 file.
I don’t know why for you is so different…maybe different version of RT? I’m using the 4.2.1 version

thanks

I see what I did, renamed the pp3 to try to apply it but it got confused and changed stuff. Using the load button worked.

1 Like

@Ivan_M76 thanks for the raw+PP3. The difference in the preview is caused by Noise Reduction. Follow this issue on GitHub: Noise reduction fails when image contains a large uniform (i.e. overexposed) area · Issue #3469 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub

1 Like

You should consider upgrading to a newer version.

Thank You Morgan!

I also tried to notice similar differences with other images of mine, but everything seems OK, especially for the picture that are processed with no Noise reduction

Title updated.

@Ivan_M76 : @heckflosse is waiting on testers to commit a patch that solve this. I’d like to test first but the raw file / pp3 is not available anymore. Could you upload them again to filebin please ?