Saved image different to preview (caused by Noise Reduction)

Hi!

A screenshot of your problem would be helpful. Like this:

Hi Jacal,

this is the picture…

I know the original image is not very good, but you can still notice the difference. On the left side IrfanView , on the right side RawTherapee

I don’t think IrfanView is the culprit here, but I would, to exclude it, try to open the jpg also with some other image viewer.

What settings did you use to export the jpg? Try with quality 95 or more, without subsampling.

I can see the problem on your screenshot, but does mine look OK to your possibly sharper eyes?

@Ivan_M76 please share the raw file and the PP3 using https://filebin.net/

Quick guess: either your JPEG compression is too strong, or noise reduction causes the difference.

Maybe working color space and output color space are different?

I render jpeg with 100% Quality and subsampling best Quality…the example that you posted looks ok to me

Hi Hiram,
the camera shoots in AdobeRGB color space and for the output i use RT_sRGB. I also try to change these settings but the difference form the viewer and RT is still visible. I tried also with another viewer (XnViewer)…same story

Please attach the pp3 file you used to process your file

Hi morgan,

here you are…

https://filebin.net/4owu04fqrbrywxde

you will find the raw file, the pp3 file and the output jpeg… thank you!

Hi Heckflosse,

https://filebin.net/4owu04fqrbrywxde

in the zip file there is the raw file, the pp3 and the output jpeg

thank you

You have quite a combination of Wavelet, Detail and other tools, that might lead to an inaccurate 100 % preview. I’m sure the RT experts will give you an interesting and useful explanation soon. Be well!

1 Like

The pp3 provided seemed really really different than the output for me, different crop, colors. The jpg provided looked more like unprocessed?

Hi Hiram,

when I processed the jpeg I check the"save pp3 with output" option…so the jpeg is exactly the output of that pp3 file.
I don’t know why for you is so different…maybe different version of RT? I’m using the 4.2.1 version

thanks

I see what I did, renamed the pp3 to try to apply it but it got confused and changed stuff. Using the load button worked.

1 Like

@Ivan_M76 thanks for the raw+PP3. The difference in the preview is caused by Noise Reduction. Follow this issue on GitHub: Noise reduction fails when image contains a large uniform (i.e. overexposed) area · Issue #3469 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub

1 Like

You should consider upgrading to a newer version.

Thank You Morgan!

I also tried to notice similar differences with other images of mine, but everything seems OK, especially for the picture that are processed with no Noise reduction

Title updated.

@Ivan_M76 : @heckflosse is waiting on testers to commit a patch that solve this. I’d like to test first but the raw file / pp3 is not available anymore. Could you upload them again to filebin please ?

@Ivan_M76 I’ve found a test shot on my HD to reproduce the problem, no need to upload again…