Scene Referred EXR from a single shot

Hi, when I was producing the samples for this post (Scene-referred editing with OCIO enabled software - #43) I considered using Luminance instead of dcraw, expecting to be able to produce a scene-referred EXR from the RAW straight away.
The result wasn’t what I expected, as the output of the RAW development and HDR generation from one single shot seemed to produce a LDR rendering.
Furthermore, the resulting EXR seems to have a 2.2 gamma applied, which is completely unexpected.

I went through the settings and documentation but I couldn’t find anything to clarify this. Am I missing something? Is it possible to produce an HDR image from a single RAW shot?
Thanks in advance.

LuminanceHdr uses libraw (which afaik is still based on dcraw at least partly) to decode and demosaic raw data. What do you expect?

To be able to scale the dynamic range to the captured range.
If my camera grabs 8-10 stops of dynamic range in the raw file, I’d expect to be able to take those stops to a linear scene-referred EXR.

What do you expect in the decode and demosaic step?

I think I know what you mean, and of course I wouldn’t expect values beyond the sensor maximum, but that information has to be scaled afterwards I think.
As I said above. if my camera captures 10 stops it doesn’t feel right that I get the dynamic range of a jpeg in my EXR.
Oh, and I wouldn’t expect gamma correction on the EXR either, btw.

*) I’m probably requesting for a feature in the case of the scaling, but the gamma correction seems like a bug.

I’m mainly contributing to lhdr with coding speedups since last year. For anything else, can you please file an issue here?

At the risk of telling people what they already know: dcraw can be told not to apply a gamma (with “-g 1 1”) and can be told to write 16-bit integers instead of 8.

I would hope the same is true of libraw. But I don’t know.

I suspect that that is the problem I facing. Odd that nobody complained about it yet as the convention for EXRs is linear transfer.
I just checked with Blender and Fusion and both the EXR produced from a single shot and the EXR produced from bracketed exposures in RAW format, end up being non-linear.

I’ll file a bug report.

Done: