Scene-referred (sigmoid) setting doesn't activate sigmoid?

In v4.6.1, I changed the preferences setting under Processing for ‘auto-apply pixel workflow defaults’ to ‘scene-referred (sigmoid)’. The docs say this will replace filmic w/ sigmoid in the default stack. However, filmic is still activated when I open a new file (it shows up in the active modules list). The only change is that now sigmoid shows up in the base list. I closed an re-started DT and this still happens. I am using the default scene-referred workflow preset.

Shouldn’t sigmoid be the active tone-mapping module active when ‘scene-referred (sigmoid)’ is chosen?

1 Like

Is this for files that have never been opened for editing before? What happens if you reset the history?

Neither resetting the history or closing/re-opening the file changed anything.

Have you ever tweaked filmic and perhaps set it as an autopreset?? Just to confirm are you saying that you are getting filmic instead of sigmoid or both …

Piggybacking on this thread, because the issue is similar:
Since sigmoid has been released I have used it and changed to scene-referred (sigmoid).
But still “filmic-rgb” is shown, but not activated, in the quick access panel. It is absent from the base and active panes. In my opinion it should be replaced on the quick access panel by sigmoid when choosing the sigmoid workflow.

Have you edited the quick access panel to remove it and add sigmoid?

1 Like

Some users might even choose to have both in a QA panel as an easy means to switch between the two as often one works better than the other on a given image…

I didn’t know you could do this :slight_smile: But now that I know, there is still no preset with filmic-rgb. The dropdowns for preset do not mention filmic or sigmoid, so they may have not been updated when sigmoid was introduced and filmic is used as default tonemapper. That said, after adding sigmoid to the quick access preset it works as described.

The quick access panel is just a static list of widgets, I don’t think its supposed to change when you change the workflow preference.

OK, I discovered that the setting works correctly (sigmoid is active by default) with RAW files from my camera, but not when opening RAW files from my phone (Samsung S23) (filmic is active by default).

Does this make sense? I can use sigmoid with files from my phone, but it won’t be active based on the workflow default setting.

Seems weird… they would be dng but I think the workflow should not treat them any differently.

If you go to preferences and presets and look under rgb filmic do you have any presets with a check mark in the right most column…

Just checking

No, no presets using filmic.

1 Like

If it is so, wouldn’t it make more sense to have the sigmoid widgets in QAP?

Both experienced users and newbees may make good use of concentrating the most used controls in one place. However, I perceive the general attitude in this forum to be that sigmoid is simpler for a beginner to obtain good results with, and beginners are also less able to arrange the Ui to suit their own needs. Shouldn’t then QAP aid beginners by presenting sigmoid-controls, and let the expert users need to re-configure QAP like they might wish? (They likely know what they need to do, and they only need to do it once.)

Filmic is the default currently, so it makes sense for it to be on the QAP. I think that’s it.

I’ll leave it to others to argue which is better or should be default.