Script or plugin to help with "1970s" reddish hue

Sorry I forgot another version I applied to the image.
It always works brilliantly for me, with one click.

I don’t understand why, by force, create other worlds.

1 Like

I have not found a coloration tool. May I ask what you are using?

For me, it is sometimes good to know there is more than one method. Method #2 may do something that I like better.
And sometimes I used a complicated method because I was distracted, or did not read the software documentation. Sad face.

There are lots of Kodak yellow and Kodak red in that image,
i.e. you have two trusty color IDs to check against.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

2 Likes

I didn’t think of that! Kodak always did a good job of developing standards. Including the “Shirley” photo for skin tones.

Its not GIMP but in DT some time back they implemented textual naming of the selected color including skin tones… back then playing with it I got pretty good at hitting the skin tone that I liked with a simple tweak of the a and b lab values and the odd time a touch of L…

Opened in DT

Tone curve LAB

Added default local contrast and blue seemed washed out so added colorfulness to blue in CC module…

1 Like

Google “coloring bw images” and numerous options popup. I tried a couple to just see how good a job was done. Sometimes very good and sometimes not.

@priort I have always failed to get close to a desirable result in DT for these faded images. I still fail, but I found this image a good learning experience using the vectorscope for visualising levels adjustments to try and balance the color. The result is not as good as GIMP but it is one of my better DT attempts.

I definitely learned some GIMP things in this latest Pixls thread!

I revisited a faded scan of a photo I took in China in the 1980’s The left half is the best I got out of GIMP. The right is taking the output of GIMP and applying tools found in DT to further enhance the image.

1 Like

Feeling inspired I took my previous export from GIMP and did further edits in DT. I shuffled the module order for these three color adjustment modules. I did small adjustments with the middle slider of the independent channels in levels to neutralise the color more. I then used the color calibration module to do a auto color setting aimed at neutral grey reading over the whole picture. I used color balance module to increase the colorfulness of the image by playing with chroma and saturation sliders (decreased saturation in shadows and increased in midtones).

1 Like

I like everything on the right, except a faint greenish cast to the gray paving stones.
I worked several years in a photo printing lab, and to this day I notice details of color.

Flesh tones are definitely better!