Scroll wheel problem in darktable for MacOS

The CLI seems to require the specific binary:
/Applications/darktable.app/Contents/MacOS/darktable-bin

Sadly, when I start it with < -d all >, it exits with an error…

##########################
(darktable-bin:4660): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: 10:25:47.333: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file ‘/opt/local/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache’: No such file or directory

This likely means that your installation is broken.
Try running the command
gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders > /opt/local/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache
to make things work again for the time being.

(darktable-bin:4660): Gtk-WARNING **: 10:25:47.333: Could not load a pixbuf from /org/gtk/libgtk/icons/16x16/status/image-missing.png.
This may indicate that pixbuf loaders or the mime database could not be found.
Gtk:ERROR:gtkiconhelper.c:494:ensure_surface_for_gicon: assertion failed (error == NULL): Failed to load /org/gtk/libgtk/icons/16x16/status/image-missing.png: Unrecognized image file format (gdk-pixbuf-error-quark, 3)
Abort trap: 6

###########################

However, lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache does exist: but on a Mac, there’s no /opt/local, so of course it isn’t in there!

I’m not going to mess about trying to unscramble this, as my installation works perfectly from the GUI, and I don’t have time to do all the troubleshooting simply to generate a debug log file for github. :frowning:

Thanks for helping.

I get the same error when running

/Applications/darktable.app/Contents/MacOS/darktable-bin

but not when I use

/Applications/darktable.app/Contents/MacOS/darktable

Specifying -d all to the latter also doesn’t cause any issues.

@saknopper >>> Mmm… using just /darktable is working now. (Must have misspelled something again - need more coffee & croissants!)

Also, /darktable -d all is working, but I can’t find the log file. I thought it was sent to
/Users/[user]/.cache/darktable
but it’s not there. In that directory, there’s only
cached_kernels_for_AMDRadeonPro555ComputeEngine
and
mipmaps-abf8c41f84cb7bcf0eef6f895945b3232607c553.d

Any ideas where the log file goes?

(…Or do you have to specify a logfile name and path in the CLI options?)

…Ah, it only outputs to the terminal, so you need to redirect the standard output.

“it only outputs to the terminal, so you need to redirect the standard output.”

Just for anyone new to this, and trying to follow my painful creeping towards the right method, you put this into the terminal:

/Applications/darktable.app/Contents/MacOS/darktable -d all > Desktop/log.txt

(Of course, you can change Desktop/log.txt to a different path and file name if you prefer.)

(Phew!)

1 Like

@archiemac, thanks for speaking up.

By the way, @paperdigits, hope you don’t get me wrong that I’m trying to file a bug report here in this forum. I merely spoke out my thoughts, that’s all.

@archiemac, I will try with my Apple USB mouse tomorrow, I don’t have a magic mouse though, and don’t intend to get one just to serve this purpose. I haven’t been touching on Linux for about 5 years ever since I left my job as an IT engineer. Nonetheless, I will see if my old PC is still wiling to serve me with a Linux OS.

Thanks all.

@lonetree >>> I’m really interested to hear how the Apple USB mouse performs for resizing the mask feather, as the only USB devices I have are not Apple. Your results may help us understand whether this is a USB issue. (Do you know whether the Apple USB mouse uses an Apple driver or just the basic USB interface?)

1 Like

Hi @archiemac, sorry for updating late. Moment ago I took out my half crippled Apple USB mouse and tried out scrolling up and down to increase / decrease size of feather, and it works fine. I think such issue is only for non Apple mouse.

I am not sure if Apple mouse uses an Apple driver or not though.

Thanks for the info. It confirms what’s been emerging about scrolling with non-Apple and Apple devices over on github, where this problem has been discussed with a couple of devs, including the maintainer for OSX.

1 Like

I saw that in github.

The thread that you have provided. Hopefully 2.7 has a resolution.