SD card causes device error - no picture was copied

Hello Dimitri

I have a problem with an SD card - it is actually fine - it contains a DCIM folder with a subfolder - in it are the RAW files like on all my other SD cards. Only when inserting this card, no images are recognised for copying. The display stops at Backup status 0 of 0 and after a short time the message “Device error! Do not unplug! Power down via web UI” is displayed.

The SD card can be accessed without an issue on different pcs - also copying the pictures is not a problem…

The card itself works perfectly in the camera… How does your script detect the pictures or what could cause your script to display this error?

Thanks a lot
dr.watson

Hey there,

Yeah, I’m traveling now, and I’m experiencing the same issue. Obviously, it’s a bug. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to look into it in the next couple of weeks. But rest assured, I’ll take care of it as soon as I can. Meanwhile, may I ask you to create a new bug here Issues · dmpop/little-backup-box · GitHub with a description of the issue?

Thank you!

Edit The weird thing is that if I try to run backup action again right after getting the error, everything works. Really puzzling.

Kind regards,
Dmitri

Thank you for your answer. What I forgot to say is that the card with the problem is a 64GB SD card. I haven’t noticed any problems with the 32GB cards so far.

Despite repeated backups, no backup is created.

If I delete the ID file and insert the SD card like a new SD card, no ID is written. The write protection is not active…

I also noticed that on the SD cards the LBB identifiers were either a directory or a file - I don’t know if I caused this by not being careful with the order of insertion of the devices. Furthermore, a 64GB became unusable - it was fully usable - after testing with LBB it can now no longer be read on any device.

I will report the bug.

Greetings
dr.watson

As I have seen the case #115 already exists with the same problem.

Actually, I also wanted to go with LBB on the trip - now I just drag my notebook and wait until LBB works reliably.

I have cooled down my LBB with cold spray and tried several times - but nothing is copied. in my Flir housing made of aluminum, it is also quite hot but still ok, even a hub with power has not helped - I hope my LBB will not gather dust in the drawer :nerd_face:

I’m really sorry for the inconvenience! I did merge major changes from an external contributor, which resulted in more complex code that I have trouble understanding and troubleshooting. And evidently the code needed more testing. But lesson learned: I will never made any major changes before going on vacation.

When I’m back, I plan to roll back most of the changes. It would mean that a few nice-to-have features will disappear, but at least the codebase will be stable again, and I will be able to troubleshoot it myself.

I’m really sad to hear that you have to make do without Little Backup Box. I hope you’ll give it another chance once it’s stable again.

Kind regards,
Dmitri

Don’t worry - the time for LBB will come. I know the problem with all the changes before the holiday too well… Enjoy your holiday - I will too. I am looking forward to the new versions with new features and many improvements

Just a quick follow-up. I’ve rolled back the codebase to the last stable version, and I did as much testing as I could. All the recently-added nice features are no longer there (although I did implement a few improvements), but Little Backup Box should be stable and easier to troubleshoot now.

Is one of the rolled back changes the progress display? If so, I’ll stop looking for it. :wink:

I’ve re-implemented and improved the progress display in the rolled back version. Now it’s displayed in the web UI, too.