Search Feature Documentation

I am writing a new tutorial for creating fanart with gimp for beginners and I’d like to reference the built in search feature, but can’t seem to find any official documentation to point to. I’m curious if my search-fu has regressed or not. The only thing I can find is a very nice tutorial by davies mendia design, but I hate to reference non official sources if I can help it.

Is this officially documented?

I do not think there is any. From Gimp docs section 17.26 Help - / Search and run a command , is all you get.

The release notes GIMP - GIMP 2.10 Release Notes have a little more

Search system
As GIMP keeps growing and getting more features, it becomes increasingly difficult to locate this or that command in the user interface. This is especially true when you are a new user who has yet to master image editing, or an experienced user who is accustomed to a different application.

GIMP 2.10 comes with a search system that allows easily locating a command available in GIMP’s menu. Press the slash key (/), type a keyword, and choose the command that looks most applicable.

…and really do you need to know much more than that ? You should combine it with finding the menu location as shown in Help > Plug-in Browser which also has a search option. 12.7. Plug-In Browser

If the Menu location is inconvenient then /? is useful for running those nested context plugins that somehow end up at the bottom of a menu.

…and I think I can show it in less time than Davies Media (now there is a surprise)

Thanks @rich2005

I figured as much but wanted to be sure.

The plugin browser feature is a bit much for my very basic tutorial, but I’ll keep it in mind for more advanced tuts in the future.

Cheers