See you on PixelFed?

PixelFed is a relatively new open-source federated photo-sharing service. It’s still rough around the edges, but the basic functionality is already in place and works well. I already closed my Instragram account and moved to PixelFed. There are not many good photographers on PixelFed to follow yet, so I thought I give the service a shout-out. If you decide to join PixelFed, post the link to your account here, so others (and I) can follow you.

My link is dmpop on pixelfed

See you on PixelFed!

Best,
Dmitri

3 Likes

I’m quite eager to join PixelFed, but I’ll wait a couple of months to give the developer time to iron out the roughest edges and to implement full federation.

Can’t wait to follow many of you talented folks here at pixls.us, on PixelFed!

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for these kind of initiatives. But this almost looks like a copy of Instagram :innocent:

Got an account on it andabata on pixelfed not much on it tho. Not sure what it brings

This might actually be worth running our own instance!

2 Likes

Except PixelFed is open-source and federated. It also doesn’t have a business model based on violating your privacy and selling your personal data.

2 Likes

Sure, no doubt about that. The UI though :wink:

1 Like

I’ve created pixelbook on pixelfed

However I need to check out how to setup an own instance.

2 Likes

sounds like a good idea! :+1:

What does that mean?

It means you can have multiple nodes of the application that can talk to each other. We can have pixelfed.pixls.us and it’d be able to see content from pixelfed.social.

Mastodon is an example of a good, federated service.

I like this idea quite a bit! It would be a cool extension of the “lounge” section of the board, making it easier to share our photos with eachother. I must admit, that’s something I still use Facebook and Flickr for, but would love to do it here as well/instead.

I looked into it an on their github is

Please note this is alpha software, not recommended for production use, and federation is not supported yet.

So maybe we’ll wait.

2 Likes

But then it means it’s not federated yet, right?

We can still be early adopters :slight_smile: a nice pixlfed.pixls.us

1 Like

I will be watching how the project is developing

I’m very curious and I’ll give it a try…

:wink:

I signed up to the pixelfed.social instance for now, but would love to join pixelfed.pixls.us :upside_down_face:

I’ve signed up, a while ago, but find it’s not overly navigable.

There’s a problem with too many social sites for sharing images and this one adds to a few that I use and mostly neglect.

I guess I’ll keep poking my nose in every now and then to see how things are progressing.

It seems that pixelfed still doesn’t support federation, which is an important feature and one I’d want to wait to work correctly before we host an instance.

1 Like