See you on PixelFed?

I’ve created pixelbook on pixelfed

However I need to check out how to setup an own instance.

2 Likes

sounds like a good idea! :+1:

What does that mean?

It means you can have multiple nodes of the application that can talk to each other. We can have pixelfed.pixls.us and it’d be able to see content from pixelfed.social.

Mastodon is an example of a good, federated service.

I like this idea quite a bit! It would be a cool extension of the “lounge” section of the board, making it easier to share our photos with eachother. I must admit, that’s something I still use Facebook and Flickr for, but would love to do it here as well/instead.

I looked into it an on their github is

Please note this is alpha software, not recommended for production use, and federation is not supported yet.

So maybe we’ll wait.

2 Likes

But then it means it’s not federated yet, right?

We can still be early adopters :slight_smile: a nice pixlfed.pixls.us

1 Like

I will be watching how the project is developing

I’m very curious and I’ll give it a try…

:wink:

I signed up to the pixelfed.social instance for now, but would love to join pixelfed.pixls.us :upside_down_face:

I’ve signed up, a while ago, but find it’s not overly navigable.

There’s a problem with too many social sites for sharing images and this one adds to a few that I use and mostly neglect.

I guess I’ll keep poking my nose in every now and then to see how things are progressing.

It seems that pixelfed still doesn’t support federation, which is an important feature and one I’d want to wait to work correctly before we host an instance.

1 Like

:cry:

Of course. Totally understand your rationale.

Pixelfed is now supporting federation – finally! New instances (servers) are popping up already. Would be nice if pixls.us got it’s own instance!

1. why?
  2. I am actually quite happy that we didnt have any copyright issues on the forums so far. I have the feeling a generic imagehosting thing could lead to more problems in that regard.
  3. who will fund it? even the forum collects a lot of data already and again pixelfed will probably require even more data hosting.
  4. lets say we actually would do it … then not without linking forum accounts with pixelfed accounts. so if an use misbehaves on one … he will be gone from both.

So right now … I would say no …

Just my 2 cents.

1 Like

Woohoo! It’s funny, @paperdigits was just discussing this over on a mastodon thread.

The biggest question I have at the moment is if we could keep it cost-sustaining and if someone is willing to be the owner for us (I don’t want to speak for @paperdigits, and @darix is too busy taking photos and taking care of this place).

From that thread … so what android/ios App can you use to post to pixelfed?

Why do mobile apps matter so much?

1 Like

Exactly! Photography and phones don’t go together in my world. I stick to camera and PC…

2 Likes