Selecting panels to appear at GIMP startup

I would like to have certain panels like Layers and Tool Options appear when I start GIMP, and not others like Paths and Fonts. I downloaded a number of files from a guide book I’m using to my Windows AppData folder which probably changed the defaults. Presently running GIMP on Windows 10 and 11.
Is there a reference or a tutorial on the syntax of these files?

You don’t need any files… from some one else.

to open a dialog go to Windows > Dockable dialogs > Select the dialog to open
To close the dialogs you don’t want, just click on the tab, stay clicked and drag it out and drop it in the canvas and close that window with the dialog inside

Then when finished your setup, go to Edit > Preferences, a window opens, go to Interface > Windows management tich the “Save window positions on exit” and click on “Save Window positions Now”

More about dialogs and how to move them around >

https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-concepts-docks.html

Thanks! I’ll take a look at it.

I hope my description that I write here makes sense. By default GIMP opens with too many unwanted dialogs. I personally only want layers and undo history which I place under my toolbox by dragging and dropping them there. I also like to have tool options on its own on the right side of the screen because some tools have a very long list of options. Again I drag and drop it there. Then for the unwanted dialogs I drag them to the middle of the screen and disable them by clicking on the red cross in the top right corner.

Maybe there is an easier way to do all this but this works for me. In the screen shot you can see I have dragged the unwanted tool preset editor from the righthand group to the centre and now I can delete it.

Thanks to both of you! That did the trick.
And I don’t have to learn Python after all. :slight_smile: