Setting DT to scene-referred, but base curve is still enabled?

I just noticed that when I import images in DT 3.2.1 the base curve is still enabled even though I have DT set up in scene-referred

Correct me if I’m wrong but I understood that setting DT in scene-referred mode, the base curve would be switched off completely.

This can be fixed by clicking step ‘0’ (original) in the history and select compress history which will remove the base curve…

The workflow setting will only affect new imports, any photos that were already imported will not be affect and will still use basecurve. If you want to move an existing image over to scene-referred workflow, then the solution is as you mentioned above.

Note that in darktable 3.2.1, I think you have to restart darktable after changing the workflow setting. This limitation was removed at some point during the current development release.

1 Like

No, I’m clearly talking about new imports…

Changing to scene-referred setup was (is) the first setting I changed when upgrading to DT 3.2.1

Did you restart the software after changing the workflow preference ?

There is also a preference about applying camera specific base curves that you need to uncheck.

With these new imports, is there any .xmp sidecar file existing for those new images? If so, it may still contain the base curve settings, and so when you reimport the image, it will remember those base curve settings.

1 Like

From what I see, when there is an xmp file for an image, a basecurve gets applied on import.
I use Digikam to cull, tag and caption new images before importing them into dt, so there is a sidecar on import. But that sidecar does not contain any development information (of course). dt insists on adding the basecurve and sharpen modules even with the corresponding options unchecked. And that is even after several restarts and several import sessions.

Specifically, I have the following settings:
“auto-apply pixel workflow settings” : “none”
“auto-apply per camera basecurve presets” : unchecked
“auto-apply sharpen” : unchecked

Not reported, as it’s not that much of a bother, and it gives a reasonable image on opening the darkroom view (2-3 clicks to apply a standard style at the proper spot in the history)

(@Dinobe: no need to remove all the history, just click on the module just below the basecurve and start working; you don’t even need to compress the history)

Ok I did some testing:

• I created a brand new database to test
  • DT is in scene-referred mode

When imporing directly in DT, the base curve module is not there. It uses filmic the way it should be.

But when importing images in DT which have first been imported in Digikam (to do my culling). The base curve is added and activated…

1 Like

Apparently this is the case when combining Digikam and DT.
I didn’t realise Digikam would write a basecurve to the xmp files

Do you have an example of an xmp file attached to an image you have never imported to darktable? I wouldn’t expect that Digikam would write a basecurve history into such an xmp. Normally I would expect that if darktable sees a sidecar file created by another program, that it would not treat the image as legacy. If this is not happening, I’d like to see what is in that xmp file that may be tripping up darktable.

Sure here is an image and the xmp file. I have manually copied the file to my harddrive. Went to Digikam, refreshed the folder in which it is and gave the image a 1 star rating.

PA271745.ORF (18.8 MB) PA271745.ORF.xmp (2.6 KB)

It doesn’t, nor would I expect it to be able to do so.
Your xmp file contains the EXIF info, and the star rating
(in acdsee:rating=“1” and MicrosoftPhoto:Rating=“1”)

Thanks, I’ll have a bit of a poke around and see if I can find out what is going on.

Ok, so where does the extra base curve module in DT come from?

I have imported the image from my previous post in Darktable.
I have 11 steps now. The 11th being the base curve.
2020-10-27 11_36_34-darktable PA271745.ORF (18.8 MB) PA271745.ORF.xmp (8.1 KB)

Can we see the processing tab in your preferences settings?

Sure

That’s the big question… I see the same behaviour, although I do not see the filmic module enabled on import. The latter is consistent with my settings, compared to yours: I selected “none” for “auto-apply pixel workflow defaults”.

So it looks like the preferences are respected, but in addition the basecurve is added if, on import, dt finds a sidecar file: when I import a file with no sidecar, basecurve is not activated.

Which is worse, in a way, you do not want both filmic and a basecurve active at the same time…

Hi,

saw same behaviour here some time ago when doing initial importing after culling/star-rating in digikam befor.
So really looks as if basecurve indeed got added when importing with pre-existing XMPs.

Actually, it seems someone complained about this once before, and I made a PR to fix it:

Somehow I’d forgotten about it :blush:

2 Likes

:sweat_smile: :rofl:
Brilliant ! I just re-checked and indeed looks fine now!
Thank you very much for the great work with darktable !

2 Likes