Settings for fine details (compared to other tools)

Yep it is getting some love… :smile:

1 Like

Thanks again for the post. I spent a lot of time with the image overlooking the town/village and the water and misty mountains in the back ground. I got to one point when I had an edit in DT for example that in some areas would be much superior on a certain roof or one of the buildings but it would look not as good in other parts of the image and there were some trends. I was really trying to figure out the best way to compare them as I got to wondering about how screen rendering might be different between the two so switching back and forth might not be the best. I of course thought that exported files compared in the same viewer (I just pulled them back in DT and used snapshots) might be best but then the rendering of those might also not be consistent with display and then again between apps… In any case it has been a good little exercise. For example I do have a few presets for D&S that are mostly mods of the provided ones and so nothing creative on my part. The one Steven shared is good and I found you can push it harder if you like and then offset any increase in grain with a bump in the threshold slider so that was something that shook out of the discussion and I was also really happy that people went back and forth and shared examples and experience without any decay into a partisan debate so in the end everybody might find a nugget for thought or improvement…

2 Likes

Happy to read, that you had some fun, fiddling around with that image. There is so much details in it, I really like it. The city BTW is Riva del Garda, at the Lago di Garda in Italy.

OMG I had to think and so funny I didn’t recognize it but I think I cycled through there in 2019… I did a trip from Innsbruck to Venice… I think I took a ferry from there… would have been nice to cycle around the lake…

Very nice! I immediatly recognize the tiny toy houses :smiley:

I almost died there. I was like an idiot tourist trying to shoot a video of my ride down the hill into town… as I got to the bottom where the arch is entering the town two drivers were honking and stopped fighting over who would go through… I maxed out my brakes and then some and managed by the grace of God to stop and not fall or collide with anyone… laughing now … heart in my hand back then… My wife was not happy with me… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Luckily all went well :+1:
The car drivers over there are also a bit more … err, vigorous (?) don’t want to say “aggressive” :wink:

2 Likes

There’s no ‘auto quality’ in darktable. You set the quality, and you can adjust the chroma subsampling, or leave the default value ‘auto’:

In your screenshot above, your quality setting is 80, which may not be sufficient if you really want to pixel-peep. I don’t know if you used that value in the actual export, of course:

No that’s my default for normal posts HD resolution and 80 for compression… Thanks for clarifying for others I did mean auto quality in terms of chroma sampling… I think I checked the exif and DTcused 4:2:0. I think ART was 4:4:4 but still had a significantly smaller JPG footprint

I remember quite well when this pixel peeping competition led to the possibility of implementing capture sharpening in DT … my question about this would be :

Would capture sharpening in DT be less CPU/GPU intensive than D&S ?

As I never gat the hang of D&S because it’s far too slow on my computer to experiment.

I’m a long time DT user and I’m totally ok with the concept of not having and OOC jpg like starting point when opening a RAW in DT but I’ve been from time to time a little bit envious of the sharp appearance and the highlight recovery available in ART/RT kind of out of the box without any significant settings adjustment.

Contrary to the apparent bland/low contrast starting point in DT that tends to lead me to more unbiased creativity with my RAWs, I consider less fine details available and less highlight details out of the box a drawback of DT compared to ART/RT nevertheless this feeling did never outweigh the other perceived DT advantages though leading me to still exclusively using it.

Certainly yes :slight_smile: At least i would guess about 4fold better performance …

Could you explain this? Not satisfied with inpaint opposed?

Sorry I’ve been a little too fast to comment on that, I’ve not compares since inpaint opposed have been introduced but now that I’ve said that I’m testing it right away !

Having checked re opening old raws where I remembered struggling with highlight details I compared with RT playing with highlight compression and exposure on both softwares and I can say :

• The inpaint method compares to old edits effectively brought more details out of the highlights
  • I could not find significant differences in the amount of details I could recover from the highlights

I totally retract that part of my previous post, I’m sorry as it was rather inconsiderate from me of the work being done and results achieved.

Thanks for the work and improvements !

With sigmoid and inpaint opposed (as mentioned by @hannoschwalm) most of the “deficiencies” of dt are gone imho. It’s now mostly workflow and ui differences.

When sigmoid came along I was impressed enough to consider switching back from RT to dt. For most photos handling dynamic range becomes very easy and fast with sigmoid. Filmic should be avoided imho unless you really know your stuff, judging from play raws and showcases a lot of people still fail to take care of the pink issue.

RT still has better sharpening, pixelshift and the highlight recovery still works better. I find that I often have to switch between inpaint opposed (which RT has gotten from dt I believe) and colour propagation to find what works for a certain photo.

1 Like

Personally I try to use DT periodically because there’s a lot to like in it on paper but when I compare the final result with RT edits I often find the RT ones better (although for some pictures I prefer DT), not sure exactly why. I think part of it is that the colours are better in RT our of the gate for my camera, but even for things where DT should have an edge like use of masks I find that RT’s local adjustment hold their own.

1 Like

“Personally I try to use DT periodically because there’s a lot to like in it on paper but when I compare the final result with RT edits I often find the RT ones better (although for some pictures I prefer DT), not sure exactly why. I think part of it is that the colours are better in RT our of the gate for my camera, but even for things where DT should have an edge like use of masks I find that RT’s local adjustment hold their own.”

I read in a thread in the forum on dpreview that such problems are due to the scene-referred workflow, which would only have disadvantages apart from HDR on screens. I don’t have the knowledge to judge this statement, but it makes me think.

If that statement comes from who I think it did, I would suggest disregarding it. He clearly has some sort of irrational hatred of DT, that seemingly means he can’t say anything nice about it. And several of his claims are provably wrong.

Without searching, let me guess: charlyw64?
He is the guy who, whenever a new darktable version is up in the DPReview news, says it’s unusable and best avoided – and still, he comes back every time and spews hatred and lies. @stevie : yes, ignore him, really.

But this topic is mainly about ART, so:

Surprise, surprise, ART also has a scene-referred workflow. Maybe charlyw64 is wrong?

• (quoting @lphilpot)
    Yes, darktable has a linear / scene-referred workflow.
    So has ART, fwiw. If you didn’t notice, it’s because of the “what” Vs “how” I mentioned above. (ART vs Rawtherapee - #17 by agriggio)

• CLF LUTs are […] well suited to be applied in a scene-referred workflow, e.g. to implement “look transforms” or also “output transforms” (i.e. tone mapping operations from scene to display/output) (ART and OpenColorIO - #14 by agriggio)

• a clear separation between tools operating in “scene referred” space and tools operating in “display referred” space, similarly to what is happening e.g. with darktable (ART (the software) news - #235 by agriggio)

And, if I understand correctly, so has RT, or at least the features are rather similar (@jdc , please correct me if I misunderstood your references):

• innovations in DT (scene refere, Sigmoid, new color science,…) are hotly debated on the forums and that similar processes on RT (Ciecam, Sigmoid, Munsell correction, Auto WB…) are currently in the shadows(Devs - How Hard Would It Be To............? - #29 by jdc)

• I also revised the GUI to make it more consistent, notably by including Sigmoid and Log encoding in Cam16 image adjustments. […] Note that the notions of “scene conditions (reference)” and “viewing conditions (display)” have been present in RT for more than 12 years. Local adjustments - Cam16 and Log encoding improvments)

@kofa

Yes, except for vocabulary, unless I’m wrong, the concepts are similar.

1 Like

@kofa. right guess.
Thanks for the information.

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: ART blows me away…