Severe drop in framerate when running dispwin -X

Hi,

can someone check this please: type dispwin -X in a terminal (or put the command in the autostart), set a screen profile with dispwin -d1 -I [pathtoprofile], open firefox or chrome/chromium, open a page like flickr, scroll down and watch how the screen is behaving.
On my laptop, I get a flickering or vertical vibration, even with text (e.g. discuss.pixls.us).
I am not sure why this is - maybe dispwin -X works fine with different video cards/drivers (I only have a “simple” internal Intel).

Thanks in advance
b

Confirmed that running argyll-dispwin -X causes the framerate of my desktop to drop from 60 to 17. This makes everything appear jerky. You can test this easily in KDE by enabling the “Show FPS” desktop effect.

screenshot_20190421_122807

screenshot_20190421_122906

Linux Sabayon, mesa-19.0.2, kernel 4.20.16, argyllcms-2.0.1.

Ping @gwgill

1 Like

thank you.
Is this a bug? should it be offically reported?

Happy Easter to everyone, btw!

I think this bug is already fixed
I tried it again, but not with the distro-dispwin, but with argyll 2.1 downloaded directly from argyllcms
looks very nice so far
apparently, but I will do further tests

I don’t think it can be regarded as a bug in ArgyllCMS - it seems to be a characteristic or bug in X11. “dispwin -X” is an experimental feature, and there are probably better ways of achieving the same functionality along the lines of triggering a script on display change using udev, and then have it call the new “displwin -x” option. Perhaps someone can figure out how to do that, and I can add a “how to” to the ArgyllCMS Linux install notes.

I am a little confused now. Did you fix something in dispwin -X or not? Fact is, it works perfectly now for me. I mean argyll 2.1 was released at about the time when we had that first discussion here, right?
Anyway, I am happy :smile: . I don’t know what the difference is between dispwin -X and dispwin -x, I only know that it works now.

Nope - nothing has changed there as far as I know.

“dispwin -x” is an addition I made with V2.1.0 to make it more suitable as a tool for setting up display calibration and ICC X profile atoms when invoked from a script on display attach or change. If “dispwin -X” is working for you, then that’s perfectly OK.

very mysterious… could someone else edit the code? I did not find new versions of it on github or so.

The only change I notice is that I removed the RROutputPropertyNotifyMask from the XRRSelectInput() mask, since someone reported that this was now causing problems with newer X11 servers (I’d forgotten about that). Perhaps that is what is different.