Share lighting diagrams and ideas for capturing images for online clothing retail!

Last night I met up with an old friend and we got to talking. He and his wife run an online vintage clothing business. What a hustle! They do pretty well at sourcing and selling the clothing, but it is time to take it to the next level. He showed me some popular stores that were similar to their on etsy.

Apparently the different between selling a pair of jeans for $50 and selling the same pair of jeans for $200 is the photography. I’ve never spent more than $25 on a pair of jeans, so I’m a bit out of my element :wink: But I figured I can help him achieve faster and more consistent results with their photography.

If you have done this type of work before, please share! It seems to be a mix between product and fashion. They have some lights and a white backdrop already, so they’re headed in the right direction.

I’d like to do the lighting well so that post processing is limited (and eventually be automated), as doing post on like 300 pairs of jeans a week is too much work!

I’m looking for lighting diagrams and workflow tips to help minimize and automate post processing.

A challenge for me indeed!

I’m sure there’s some quip about free open source fashion lurking here somewhere… :slightly_smiling_face:

Wow, that is very nice of you to volunteer. Here is a link I find quite informative:

disclaimer: I have not done such work before. This knowledge was obtained as idle curiosity!

1 Like

Not related to lighting, but related to shooting clothes: Pixelshift can be your friend

Very interesting, though I don’t own capable hardware :slight_smile:

By hardware do you mean hardware to take the shots or to process them?

Hardware to take the shot

Let’s assume you make 10 shots per product.
300 shots per week means 30 product shots.
200$ - 50$ = 150$
150$ * 30 = 4500$
The investment should amortize quite fast :wink:

1 Like