Sharpen and Blur Per LAB Channel

I’m reading Photoshop LAB Color by Dan Margulis, which outlines several powerful postprocessing techniques in LAB. Many of these can be performed using the “tone curve” module, however in Chapter 5 he talks about sharpening and blurring. In particular, he notes these basic rules for reducing noise effectively and also sharpening the image:

• sharpen the L channel
  • blur the A and B channels separately depending on the noise in each (using a Gaussian blur)

How can I do this in darktable? I can sort of achieve this using the “lowpass” module and using “Lab color” as the blend mode (I think this is the same), however I think it only allows me to apply the “lowpass” blur to both A and B uniformly, not individually. How can I blur just A or just B?

Regarding sharpening, I think I can sharpen the L channel by itself by using the “sharpen” module and the “Lab lightness” blend mode - is this correct? Moreover, does darktable have an equivalent to the Photoshop “Surface Blur” filter? He recommends this over Gaussian if available

Related to this, it would be really helpful if I could see each channel individually, so I can assess how much noise is present in each channel. Is there a way for me to show just the L, A, or B channels by themselves in darktable?

1 Like

I’d try a separate instances with an accent on color of noise. Maybe there are better techniques, though.

How do I do that exactly? I tried a parametric mask and selected either a
or b, but I couldn’t seem to get the selection to apply to just that channel

So, here’s material you can use as an example or, at least to figure out what exactly you need to do with a mask
https://youtu.be/_Yq60o5yQsg?t=6m7s

I understand you want to grab the entire channel, but I’m not sure if it is possible with single instance/ Hence how he uses the mask and if one is not enough - use multiple instances
I suggest you use the Equalizer module too - it can blur and sharpen an image with wavelets algorythm so it might match your needs

Thanks, that video demonstrates that technique well. It seems like you could use two copies of the module as follows:

• copy 1: drag left sliders in channel to 0; apply settings
  • copy 2: drag right sliders in channel to 0; apply settings

Would this effectively apply the effect to the whole channel? One thing I don’t understand i when I did this, I could not use the “normal” blend mode; I had to use “Lab color”. Why is this? If I’m making a mask only on the B channel, why would it apply to the other two channels?

Yes, that’s what I meant.
Sorry mate, I can’t tell whether this solution will be effective, there is only one way - try it on your image. I suggest trying those instances with LAb color blending, consequently switching a/b channels in each instance, while keeping the L-channel off.
What exactly is different with Normal an Lab color mode?

With the new blend mode you can now blur the A and B channels separately in the low pass module. Create 2 instances and set one to blend mode Lab a-channel and the other to Lab b-channel and adjust the blur radius as needed. It works quite well.