Sharpening strategies in Darktable

I am wondering what sharpening strategies people use in DT and if my choices are flawed. I usually apply the demosaicing AA filter preset from the diffuse or sharpen module (D&S). If I want extra sharpening I then create a new instance of the D&S module and use one of the lens deblur presets. I often apply local contrast which adds to the impression of sharpening amongst other things. It would be interesting to see how others work.

1 Like

I am certainly no expert, but I use the Contrast Equalizer module to Deblur: Fine Blur: Strength 3. Sometimes I do multiple instances of this same action.

Thanks for your response Tim. I was just preparing some notes for a class on darktable sharpening and I stated that I thought the deblur options in the diffuse or sharpening (D&S) module were superior to the contrast equalizer modules (I am willing to stand corrected on this). Have you experimented with the options in the D&S module?

1 Like

I use the no AA preset. I have in the past used dehaze. I find for most cases the no aa used with 2 to 4 iterations is enough. CE can have halos if pushed and D and S can create extra grain and or noise/artifact if pushedā€¦ The key for either is restraint

2 Likes

For low ISO photos with fine details, that deserve peeping, I am gently using the sharpen module, radius about 1,5, amount like 0,8 or similar, details threshold over 30.

1 Like

I created a diffuse or sharpen preset which works great on pretty much all images:
deblur i20.dtpreset (1.2 KB)

It is a variation on the standard deblur presets, masked out of highlights as I usually donā€™t want to sharpen clouds or bright lights, and with a details mask so it only effects edges (itā€™s intended for fine detail), which really helps prevent increasing noise on noisy images.

If Iā€™m working fast I can usually just apply it and move on. For fine tuning all thatā€™s needed is to adjust iterations (usually less iterations for portraits), and on odd occasion the details mask.

I find diffuse or sharpen gets nicer results than sharpen module, or contrast eq. If I didnā€™t have a good gpu Iā€™d use contrast eq.

8 Likes

No, I havenā€™t. And I am puzzled as to how or why they would be any different. I will try to research - thanks.

Because diffuse or sharpen is based on a physical model, rather than on an abstract signal processing model like wavelets. And even if it werenā€™t, sharpening methods differ from each-other, otherwise there would only be ā€˜unsharp maskā€™ or ā€˜high-passā€™.

2 Likes

I like the D&S module and I often tune the module per picture. The find the contrast equalizer also to be a good option for fine sharpening if you use the last to levels moderately and it is the faster option, as D&S isnā€™t the fastest one. In a lot of pictures it makes no differences, if you use the one or the other - itā€™s nearly undetectable as far as I am concerned.

That said, Iā€™m not a fan of sharpening at all. I think for an output resolution of 4K or below (with some output sharpening applied) you donā€™t need any sharpening at all. In a lot of pictures I would rather soften some parts - speaking of portraits for example. In portraits general, I would just mask the sharpening to the eyes of the personā€¦

Can not comment on highpass or the sharpen module, as I donā€™t have enough experience with them.

2 Likes

Interesting, I did not know that Darktable allows importing presets as well. Mainly I use my own presets and did not use the export option but experimenting with new presets would be fun!

How to import presets?

I know how to import styles, but if I select ā€˜all file typesā€™ in there and choose my dtpresets, Darktable seems to import nothing.

https://darktable-org.github.io/dtdocs/en/preferences-settings/presets/

1 Like

ok - nice and good, Iā€™ve read this passage as well but the the import procedure sounds very vague:

User-defined presets can be imported from exported .dtpreset files using the ā€œimportā€ button at the bottom of the screen.

this tells me nothing, where I should look for this button. A screenshot would help

• The hamburger menu of Presets allows to save new presets but not to import any new preset.
  • the Style module in lighttable imports styles only - and if I try to import anything else than styles, Darktable does not import anything.
  • Finally, the import module in lighttable hangs, cannot use it. Usually I import new film rolls with a script so I did not notice that the import module is buggy on my machine.

The manual section you were referred to, is for the ā€œpresetsā€ section of ā€œpreferences and settingsā€. That happens to be a (dialog) screen. At the bottom of that screen, there are a few buttons.

Thatā€™s a completely different matter. But youā€™ll have to be a lot more precise about the problem there to get help. And if at all possible, that should be in a new thread, or on github if itā€™s really a bug: software rarely is buggy just on one machine)

3 Likes

Since I dont use the import module, the import dialog took awhile to index/load the default directories. To test if this is a bug, I quit and restarted Dt. Upon next launch, the import dialog worked nicely, so both issues are resolved.

Sorry about being so terse, I was on the phone. Normally, I would have included a screenshot. Iā€™ll try to at least add something like ā€˜see the docs for Preferences ā†’ Presetsā€™ next time.

1 Like

No problem !
Fun thing, only afterwards I noticed ā€œpreferences and settingsā€ in your link. Sometimes it is easy to miss the hints when they are in front of our nose

Great preset!

What I would like is a quick way to apply an instance of DorS with the i20 preset. One way to do this is to create a style that only has one module activated ie DorS with i20. Then its just 2 clicks to apply.

However, I have a baseline style which includes a DorS instance with the ā€œsharpen demosaicing no-AA filterā€ applied.

Normally I apply my baseline style to a photo, then review what else is needed. If I now apply my ā€œi20ā€ style it creates a second instance of DorS which goes below/before the baseline ā€œno-AA filterā€ instance.
The manual suggests that the ā€œno-AA filterā€ should come first.

Any thoughts on how to make this happen automatically?

Actually, from the manual, I understood that denoising should come first (applied first, so towards the bottom of the stack), then apply from coarse to fine, with ā€œsensor and demosaic correctionā€ last (i.e. towards the top of the stack).

If you use that, it seems the order you get is the recommended orderā€¦

3 Likes

Glad you like it :smiley:

I donā€™t know why your 2nd instance of DoS is automatically being put before the no AA instance. Whenever I add a 2nd instance it automatically puts it above/after the 1st. Itā€™s possible you have set a funny module order for DoS in that baseline style?

I have a style with multiple instances of DoS in the order I wish to use them. They are turned off to start (faster computations when working with other modules), but when they are eventually turned on, they are in correct order. I donā€™t use the no AA filter preset, but if I did, I would also put it before my i20 preset.

Iā€™m not sure your level of knowledge. Module order can be changed by holding cntrl + shift, then dragging the module where you want it go.