Shooting into the sun

@Jade_NL - Well done! I love the results you got with darktable in the sky. To me, that’s really the focal point, and I think you’ve nailed it!

Thanks!

@priort - Todd, I couldn’t agree more! For me, this shot is all about the sky. It’s a tough photo to deal with to be sure. I’m currently trying to learn the modules, so for me this is a learning exercise to learn which modules people use, how they use them, and what those modules can do.

I would love to see whatever attempts you’re willing to share!

Thanks.

@Eduardo_Battaglia - I love the colors you’ve been able to pull out in both the sky and the foreground. And since the sky is the real focus, your muted foreground really draws the viewer’s attention to the sky. But there’s just enough color there to keep people looking. Wonderful job!

Thanks!

1 Like

Just luck…someone commented a long time ago that the composition was just as important as the post-processing and it really is true I think the 21x9 crop really helps this image and I think that it helps to let the eye run to the the sky but yeah it’s nice to be able to get some colors in into the images as well and where you can it is nice to crop away any tough to handle or poor quality areas…it can make your editing easier in the long run

1 Like

@priort - I love that second edit! The top one is a little too dark, and the bottom one leaves too much shadow in the foreground, which I find distracting. My eyes keep wandering to the shadows to see what’s there. But the middle one seems to strike a perfect balance.

I see what you mean about the 21x9 crop! It really does let you focus on the sky. And that middle image with a good foreground balance leads your eyes right to it!

Thanks!

@pll Thanks. It would be possible to make the sky more saturated and darker if you wished but I didn’t want to over cook it.
I have always found RawTherapee or ART very good for rescuing highlights. I think you could get similar results with darktable now as their new highlight reconstruction module seems to have improved things. Personally I find it quickest to get good looking results with ART but that is most likely because I have spent time getting accustomed to using it. Perhaps also because there is a less bewildering choice of ways to achieve the same thing, which appeals to me.

The only issue with the second one is color noise. I set out with the third edit just to remove it and then tweaked a few more things you if you like #2 my only change would be to add the chroma preset in denoise profiled and then leave it alone…shooting that type of stuff it is nice to have an ND filter so you can bump up the exposure in the shadows or do some bracketing to help with the dynamic range. Post processing is very powerful these days but nothing beats having a better starting point…thanks for sharing your image…

darktable 3.4
_MG_0185.CR2.xmp (9,3 Ko)

Just edit your top post and add a sentence like:

I’m releasing this image under the Creative Commons <insert your flavor here> License.

You can find the different flavors at Licenses List | Creative Commons and as can see you have the choice between different (non-) restrictions like:

• CC-0 : “in the public domain” / “do whatever you want”
  • BY (Attribution)
  • SA (Share Alike)
  • NC (Non-Commercial)

The “ND” (No derivatives) restriction isn’t really suitable for play-raws, because you are actually encouraging people to edit the image.

Bonus-points, if you also link to the specific license. :wink:

Shared under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) license.

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/

1 Like

Sorry being nitpicking ;-))

Could you pls edit your initial post and place that licensing there next to your picture.

@AxelG - Sorry to be really dumb, but I can’t actually figure out how to edit my initial post :slight_smile:

At the bottom of the post there should be a pencil. Click on it.

@pll: At the bottom of your first post there’s a pencil icon. Click on it and you are in edit mode.

LOL, I’m too slow…

Guys, I feel really stupid. But I’m not seeing the pencil on my initial post.

I see pencils on every other reply/follow-up to this post, but I’m not seeing it on my initial post. Clearly I’m doing something wrong…

If I look at the screenshot you posted I miss 2 pencil icons: The one next to the topic title and the one in the 1 … flag … delete reply line.

Here’s one of my entries as a reference:

Look next to B&W (title) and left of the triple dots (near bottom).

You do seem to be logged in (your avatar at top right is visible).

I do know that there is a cut-off time after which you cannot change anything any longer, but I thought it to be longer then 8 days.

Maybe @paperdigits can clear this up.

That’s really strange. There should be a pencil icon next to the “link”, which is clearly not there in your second screenshot.

Actually in the only topic, that I ever created (also a play_raw), I can’t edit the posts either, though that was last September and maybe that thread is too old now.

I can edit my posts in this thread, though.
:thinking:

Oliver

1 Like

Is that, because @pll hast still too fresh user status?

I hope @patdavid or @paperdigits have some good ideas :slight_smile:

1 Like

I doubt that, @pll signed up 25 Oct '19. I’ve been here a shorter time: 8 Feb '20 :wink:

Good question. I have ideas, rarely are they any good.
There might be a timer for editing (or user status). I’ll try bumping his account to a normal user and see if it shows up. :slight_smile:

1 Like