Shortcuts and interface of GIMP to look like Photoshop?

I am very familiar with the interface and shortcuts of PS, and somehow, I feel a little bit slow with the default GIMP interface and also, I sometimes press PS shortcuts not remembering I am using GIMP and then suddenly destroying my work which took hours.

Are there any specific tutorials to this or presets setting thingy for this?
I feel a bit uncomfortable with the default GIMP interface, that’s why I was asking this.

Is there a preset already made in GIMP?

A quick internet search(!!) comes up with, among other things:

2 Likes

erm pretty sure ctrl + z still works in photoshop :slight_smile:

EDIT: acutally i have the same problem — long time photoshop user and it take so long to get used to gimp. i did like it a lot more when i had to learn it though (when i no longer had photoshop) but now i have a CC subscription again i get temporarily confused switching betwene the two. guess it’s just setting up gimp to be enough like photoshop in look and shortcut keys.

1 Like

I assume you know that while working on cage transform, if I press a key, then it removes all the customizations done. :wink:

It’s the problem of every person who switched from PS to Gimp, or working on both programs at same time.

Overall, I run hundreds of apps at the same time, so it’s hard to even remember that I was doing something with gimp, rather than remembering the shortcuts.

1 Like

The PhotoGimp package is quite a sizeable installation.

This is just the shortcuts file(s) for Gimp 2.10

Photoshop 2018+ Bindings for Gimp 2.10.20 by migf1 on DeviantArt (zipped 400 kB)

1 Like

Did you know? You can CHOOSE your own shortcuts with Gimp, even replace these you dont like in PS!

1 Like

I’m the other way. Got so sick of mistakes I installed Gimp at work, a liability for projects where others need to touch the files but hey. The solutions @rich2005 and @alex666 mention are the simple and good ones.

One thing to keep in mind is that it can be worth spending the annoying conversion time. I used to tweak and customize software before but I’ve realized it’s better long term to adjust to the default. Simplifies things in the long run.

2 Likes

I will also try that, right now I have already downloaded photogimp, and will install photography when I get free.

Yes I know, but it’s hard to remember everything that are going to be changed, because there are still some shortcuts that I didn’t used in PS, and don’t know what will be they in GIMP.

in gimp if you go to Edit - keybaord shortcuts you can see all the shortcuts (or search for a particular function) no doubt on the net you can find a pdf or similar of all the gimp shortcuts

1 Like

hundreds ?! :slight_smile:

1 Like

When I was building the PC, I built it thinking that there would be a lot of 3D and Video Editing, which costs too much ram, and it actually got as high as 240GB (180GB Hitfilm Pro, 60GB Blender), when I was doing some work for a studio.

And usually I don’t work that much power, and as this system is free (too much free!), I thought why not just open 100s of apps for no reason to just feel that this PC is powerful. But I literally just enjoy using the apps which has no reason to get on the working list rather than using useful apps.

Like some OBS windows, chrome, imo, skype, WCC2, and more.

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grin:

1 Like

Then I will find a PS cheat sheet, and just copy paste it in GIMP.