Should I install GIMP stable or bleeding edge?

Hi everybody.

I just wanted to start by saying how happy I am this discussion group isn’t on facebook.

I am planing to do a clean install of my workstation which is currently 14.04 Ubuntu. The thing I can’t decide is if I should install the stable gimp 2.8.X or add a ppa and go bleeding edge with gimp 2.9.

Thous who have been running Gimp 2.9, is it stable enough for production work? Are you getting in to any trouble?

Thanks in advance.
Birgir in Iceland

@Birgir I would recommend 2.9.x. It is good enough for use and it has features that I couldn’t do without; e.g., higher bit depth and better color management.

2.9 is plenty stable and 2.10 is just around the corner.

The great news is that you can install the 2.8.x from your distro and use the gimp 2.9 AppImage provided here. The settings will not interfere with one another.

I use the rather old v2.9.3 (as well as 2.8.10), and never had any problems. But I’m looking forward to 2.10. As with any new software, I will assume it will crash at any moment until I’ve proven to my own satisfaction that it won’t.

But Gimp has never crashed on me. Not even once. Yet.

@patdavid et al, over the last few days I’ve been seeing and moving various posts which should have been in groupX/subgroupY but which were instead posted to groupX and tagged as subgroupY. This post is one example. It should be in Software/GIMP, but is instead in Software and tagged as GIMP.
Is this just a coincidence, or is something broken?

I’m moving this post now, so by the time you check it will appear in Software/GIMP.

It’s a user… peculiarity. Folks sometimes won’t check to file their posts in sub-categories. (It’s one reason I’m sometimes hesitant to over-categorize user facing things).

Moving them to the appropriate sub-forum is the best approach (and removing redundant tags). Thanks!

Agreed.