Show your best Macro shots!

I made a few more stacks of some random leaves.

Sony a6000 + Ensinor Auto Teleconvertor 2X + Extension Tubes 57mm + SMC Pentx M Macro 50mm f/4 makes for 3.1(3):1 magnification.

Stacked tiffs with Zerene Stacker and processed the results with RawTherapee 5.8

3 Likes

This is the 3rd macro shot I took ever. Just started getting into it a week ago or so. Single frame no stacking. Only a slight crop to put the bee closer to the Thirds line as it was kind of center. I beleive this bee was young as in hatched this spring it was only about 1/4 inch long. Shot with my T7i using a 100mm 2.8L macro lens shot free hand not 1:1 sadly as it was a weird position and he was playing hide and seek from me trying to hide in the flower. I think it is around 1:1.5 - 1:2 ish I think don’t remember exactly somewhere in that range.

Edit with darktable. Not quite sure I exactly like the edit I am only experimenting with the software to see if it fits my workflow it could really use a splash of dodge and burn in affinity to liven it up just don’t have the time.

8 Likes

I took this one few days ago. It’s still alive, but wasn’t moving for a sufficient long time, enough to let me put my camera on the table and carefully focus on his head.

11 Likes

Scaring animal, but very good shot !

1 Like

Female Pale Morning Dun. A Mayfly. Ephemerella Dorothea Infrequens. July 4th, 2010. Yellowstone River Montana, USA. The males are a bit smaller and more yellow than olive.

This one isn’t a focus stack. It was hand held with a small aperture and high ISO, and with macro rings behind a 105mm macro lens. Out of 100 or more exposures that day this was one of two or three in acceptable focus. I’ve since learned to shoot multiple exposures as fast the camera will go. When I do that one of maybe ten such exposures will be in focus. Birding guides use rapid fire for Birds In Flight Photos too. Same concept.

5/16" inches (not counting tails) or 8mm long.

4 Likes

That could be a nice one for a play raw. Would you mind to share it?

Heckflosse:

Here’s the original Nikon Raw, DSC_2383.NEF (the mayfly two or three posts up from here). Fwiw a Google Image Search on “Mayfly” reveals thousands of images. There aren’t many this sharp this close up. I got lucky that day.

DSC_2383.NEF (5.9 MB)

1 Like

Thanks for the raw. Just a quick screenshot to show how you can reduce backround noise

Thank you heckflosse.

I’ll work on that background noise reduction. I shot the raw in 2010. The jpeg I uploaded is at least several years old. Perhaps done with RawTherapee. Before I became born again Darktable.

Some food for all the insects in this thread (except those that prey on others of course)ForageAtJoes

5 Likes

Some great shots here! I love macro as well, so here are a few shots of mine from over the years.

Below is a stack of a few handheld shots taken via rocking back and forth
JumpingSpider_Stacked

Another stack of a few images, taken handheld like above
_MG_4712_p

_MG_8803

_MG_8996
Not a “true” macro, but love the detail in the eye here, taken with my 105 Macro

Below are just a few from a personal project series I am working on to create a photobook displaying all the cool intricacies that various leaves have:
2019-10-19 21-57-34 (C) (I’d recommend checking out the above shot in full size, I think some of the cells in the lower half of the image almost look like an aerial view of molten lava, really cool I thought)

2019-10-19 22-45-44 (C)

2019-10-19 23-00-40 (C)

Below is also from a series, though a different one, where I am working on “portraits” of various flowers, again for a book I’d like to put together for myself. This is a “panorama” of shots stacked and stitched (I think it was somewhere above 350 frames total) . Had to downsize it some due to Mpix limitation of the forum.

WhiteWinterPeony_01

11 Likes

Plain Mariposa Lily. This was the second new to us Mariposa Lily that we found this year.

7 Likes

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder…

10 Likes

That guy needs a hairdresser imo… :upside_down_face:

Nice pair if pompadours though. :slight_smile:

Always wondered why the hairs. They don’t keep warm, they don’t have much effect against predators, and they likely generate a lot of air drag…

Sensory pompadours.

3 Likes

Large skipper / Groot dikkopje

3 Likes

I always assumed they moved with pressure changes and alert the fly to movement nearby…

100% crop of a hoverfly, taking using my sigma 105 f/2.8 along with flash and diy flash diffuser. Forgot to say I also used the Raynox DCR 250 on the end of the Sigma 105.

6 Likes

I forgot to mention, this was a single image, no stacking.

1 Like