Show your best Macro shots!

macro
insects

(Carmelo Dr Raw) #1

EDIT: since we have quite many macro photography enthusiasts here on pixls.us, I thought it would be nice to have on thread were to collect all our masterpieces from the small world… so I renamed this thread to invite people to post their macro shots here!

Here are some recent macro shots of mine, freshly processed and uploaded.

I am still working on the use of natural sunlight (I have a strong preference for backlit shots) and on the texture of the out-of-focus background… what do you think?

You can see the full set of pictures here (released under the CC BY-NC-SA license).

1:

2:

3:

4:

5:

6:

7:

8:

THANKS FOR LOOKING AND CRITICIZING!!!

The 5th beta test of Filmulator 1.0.0 for macOS 10.10+ is here.

Forgive my ignorance: what is “Cie”?

(Mica) #3

This is some lovely work, particularly 5 & 7. Love the smooth backgrounds, they high key #7 with the brown pop of the bug. The darkness of the background in #5 provides excellent contracts.

Thanks for sharing!

(Roel) #4

Great stuff! I like #3 and #8 in particular.
I think the best thing to do is look for as few hues as possible, and make things pop. For example in #4 it’s a lovely composition, but because the dragonfly is yellowish and the background green-yellowish, it is a little lackluster in appearance. In comparison, in #8 you have a wonderful black-blue background with a yellow-brown foreground. Great contrast. Just cut away the left part and you have a awesome picture!

(Carmelo Dr Raw) #5

“Compagnie” (company) - that’s a French acronym…

(Carmelo Dr Raw) #6

@paperdigits @Thanatomanic Thanks for your comments!

Here is a similar composition with a different, darker background:

You mean abbreviation not acronym. :stuck_out_tongue:

What is your camera, lens, etc., setup? Time of day and mood? What were you wearing? :slight_smile:

(Carmelo Dr Raw) #8

Forgive me, I’m just back from vacations, brain is following with a little bit of lag :upside_down_face:

Nikon D300 + Micro-Nikkor 60mm f2.8, hand-held because the subjects are not collaborative and are flying around like hell…

Mainly early morning or late afternoon, but some are taken close to noon (#4) or in the shade (#2, #3). In most cases I had one eye on the insect and the other one on my kids :roll_eyes:

(Kees Guequierre) #9

Very lovely set, i like almost all of them :slight_smile:, but the weevils stand out for me.

(Carmelo Dr Raw) #10

Thanks @andabata! Did you see the rest of the weevil shots in my web gallery? Which shot(s) you didn’t like, and why?

(Kees Guequierre) #11

I don’t like the angle of #6. I think they look better from a bit lower. Personaly i always try to get on the same height or slighty below of the critter.

(Hevii Guy) #12

Nice work! In the last couple of weeks I’ve discovered the joys (and few frustrations!) of macro shooting. Here are a couple of mine. I particularly like the second one which I call “PlantetX”

I also shot these hand-held. I used a Nikkor Micro 105mm f2.8 hanging off of the working end of my pedestrian crop-sensor “enthusiast” (hah!) D7100. I really do need to get a new full frame mirrorless. Yeah, sure :wink:

(Carmelo Dr Raw) #13

Nice shots! I particularly like the geometry and colors of the second one.

Regarding the gear, I am not convinced that a mirrorless camera is the best for macro-photography. For me the immediate feedback of an optical viewfinder is a must in order to “catch” the good focus. I suspect that the small time lag of the digital viewfinder is detrimental in this respect…

Also, I am afraid it is very hard to exploit the potential of an high-resolution full-frame sensors in hand-held shooting, due to camera micro-movements…

To all the macro-photography lovers out here, what do you think about a thread dedicated to showcasing your work?

(Hevii Guy) #14

I agree wholeheartedly. And then some. I was simply being sarcastic and trying to taunt all of the gaseous fanboys/girls out there :wink: I’m looking forward to complementing my gear at reasonable prices (I also have a tiny bit of gas) when they dump all of their old bodies and glass in blind favour of the new stuff :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh yes! Let’s do it!

I have been reluctant to give a critique because I am a newbie when it comes to taking actual photography and have a minimal set of aging gear on me.

The reason that I asked about gear and context is because I feel that a longer lens could have done a better job (like @Hevii_Guy’s but of course you have what you have). Also, a deeper depth of field would have been nice; more overall sharpness on the insect. I think a smaller aperture might also give the bokeh balls a bit more character.

@andabata’s advice on using a lower angle is excellent. Just think about how you would take candid photos of your children. Usually it is at a lower angle. At least, that is what my approach would be.

(Roel) #16

Count me in!

These are great macros @Carmelo_DrRaw
Here’s my favorite taken a few months ago with canon t3i + 18-55mm kit + ext. tube.

Nice shot of the honey bee + spider. I see it was shot @ 55 mm with an F23, did you apply the focus blur in post?

I don’t normally shoot macro. I saw this bee and just focused in on it.

Focus blur is focus blur, not added in post. I was probably using the 18-55mm kit lens with an extension tube, dialed in f/23, and got very close in.