Sigma lens not recognized by DT

I use a Sigma 160-600 Contemporary lens on a Canon 80D, and for some reason Lensfun report the Lens Model as a “150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary 015” instead of “Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C”, so DT doesn’t recognizing it.
I tried many things in the past, including looking at the man file to create am exiv2.ini. I also tried this (User's portal · darktable-org/darktable Wiki · GitHub), renaming the “exiv2.ini” I created a copy called.exiv2 just in case.
In the end I hacked the file slr-sigma.xml, changing the name in there so that DT can find it. This was not an ideal solution as I had to do it every time there’s a new version, but it worked, until now.
After installing 4.8 DT is showing the “Lens” under “Image information” as “624”.

That is the Lens Type that ExifToolGUI returns, with a description of “Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM | S or other Sigma Lens”. On GitHub in canonmn_int.cpp 624 is
{624, “Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art”}
as well as
{624, “Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM | S”}

This is as far as my investigation took me. I looked at all the other threads regarding missing lenses but found nothing similar. Can someone tell me how to get DT to recognize my lens again?

Upload a raw sample.

1 Like

You’ll probably want to use an exiv2 config file to match the lens name to what lensfun provides.

Agreed. I’ve just dowloaded ‘PhotoME’ which could help in the matter.

Looks like the same (or a very similar) issue discussed in this thread.

As long as you have only one lens with that ID 624, using @paperdigits suggestion of an exiv2 config file is probably the easiest solution, at least for now.

1 Like

OK, so looking again at the problem, I realize that I’m probably missing something with the exiv2.ini file I created (I’m using win10, but I created a clone called .exiv2 too, just in case). I created it in my home directory, c:\Users\Piet and added

624=Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C

It made no difference.

  • I added inverted commas around the name.
  • I changed the “canon” to “Canon”, and to “Sigma”, just in case.
  • I changed the “Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C” to “150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary 015”.
  • I changed the “Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C” to 000, because I read somewhere that in doing so it will force DT to read the correct value from another tag in the EXIF.

Nothing of the above made ANY difference, so I presume my config file is in the wrong directory, or it is named incorrectly. Any help will be appreciated.

PS: I will upload a sample tonight (CAT).

If you already imported the image to darktable, you need to have darktsble reread the metadata. The button is in Selected Images > metadata tab > refresh metadata (or something like that).

And you will need to refresh EXIF in darktable, as Mica wrote.

Believe me, I tried it all. I followed the video step by step etc, etc. Nothing! And tonight it is working without me having made any changes. I blame sunspots! Thanks @paperdigits, @Peter and everyone else


I had the same problem with not working lens recognition for this lens.

Since I only own one lens with this zoom range the solution was very simple:

I created a preset for the lens recognition module with this lens selected and saved it to be auto applied, whenever a lens fits the “150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary 015” string.

1 Like

I had the same issue, and I set up a preset so the lens correction module would call up the lens if the lens nomenclature contained Sigma. This worked because the 150-600C was my only Sigma lens. Not an ideal solution but it worked

I created presets and hacked the xml files to fix the issue before, but for anyone who struggles with such a problem I recommend Mica’s video. And if it is not fixing the problem and it is 11 o’clock on a Sunday night, take a break :blush:

1 Like

Another note to those who are struggling with this: you HAVE TO refresh the metadata, it doesn’t help reloading the image, restarting DT or anything else