Sigma x3f in darktable

I’m just looking at acquiring an old Sigma Merrill and I see that RawTherapee can open the files but darktable can’t. I don’t have any files I can submit but I’m wondering even if I did would it help? I assume none of the current demosaic techniques would work.

If I can submit files and it will be supported I would buy a camera and create files. If it won’t or can’t be supported I won’t bother buying a camera. I’m kind of waiting/hoping Sigma gets the full frame, L-mount to market before I get in as I’m guessing it will have DNG files like the Quattro’s. But I have my doubts that they will ever release it.

Any advice on whether these files can be supported or not this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Kev

The sigma FP is an L-mount and full frame. Its been out for a bit: Sigma fp Mirrorless Digital Camera C43900 B&H Photo Video

The FP is a normal Bayer CMOS sensor. I’m after a Foveon.

Those cameras use a Foveon sensor. Those sensors do not use a bayer matrix (used by canon, nikon, sony, …) so the standard demosaicing routines aren’t needed (and just won’t work on them). However, the three colour layers do need significant processsing due to severe overlap of the spectral sensitivity of each layer.

I’m not even sure enough is known about those sensors outside sigma to write a sensible decoding routine for such files…

Hi, first of all I think it’s worth getting one of these gems, even there’s no direct raw support from these apps (rawtherapee only extracts included jpg).
However, there’s x3f-dng convertor which works kinda usable, also you can still use sigma photopro app to make 16bit tiffs and work with those.
Also if you don’t know or have any experience with foveons, prepare to test your patience and sanity :smiley:

So yes please :slight_smile: It would be awesome to get direct support, but it seems to be little more tricky I guess. Anyway I can contribute some raw files as well.

I’m a Linux only guy so Sigma’s utilities are difficult to access. I’m not thrilled with the DP Quattro’s but the DNG capability is tempting.

1 Like

This is that covertor, but I’ve never tried on linux yet.

I’ll look into this. Thank you!

I’ve got a Sigma DP3, which produces X3F’s. It’s quite a wonderful camera, but frustrating
(some people on this thread have said as much, and I agree with them). Good news and bad news:
Shotwell can cope with X3F files, and does pretty well with them. However, it’s not the best editor, and I personally prefer darktable, which can’t cope with X3F. However, Sigma do have an application (Sigma Photo Pro) which I have in the past got working on my setup (I run Linux, and could get Sigma Photo Pro running in Wine).

Anyway, if you want any dp3 files to try out, I can send you them.

Graham

Thanks Graham! I’ve found a few files to play with. For now I’m giving up on the Foveon. If Sigma ever releases it full frame with an L mount, I may take another look.

1 Like