Simple ocean scene... but not as simple as expected.

I took this shot from a small craft off the Delaware coast. Looks straightforward, but there were a number of challenges to address in the underlying RAW image.

Producing this B&W rendering entailed more effort than I’d expected. Whether you go color or monochrome, perhaps you’ll enjoy the challenge too…

Here’s the RAW file:
IMG_8873.CR2 (21.0 MB)

And, if interested, here’s my ART sidecar:
IMG_8873.CR2.arp (12.0 KB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

3 Likes

@ejm - I feel like I’m stalking you… I like to see how other use ART hence me keep asking about your arp files.

If I download the arp file and apply it I don’t get a B&W image.

I again downloaded the arp file and without going anywhere near ART, it shows the B&W module as being disabled.

[Black & White]
Enabled=false

Rotation isn’t enabled either and in your edited image you have straightened the horizon.

We look to be on the same version of ART, from the arp file :
AppVersion=1.16.3

@Phil_Smith Now this is getting weird (not your “stalking” me :wink: but my misbehaving sidecars).

Once again I’ve delved into my .cache files and now notice two distinctly separate sidecars associated with this RAW … one is about 12kb and one is about 29kb. I have no idea why this might be the case.

But apparently the 12kb does nothing I can detect (that’s the size of the one I initially uploaded) and the 29kb seems to work as intended.

I’ll upload the larger sidecar here:
IMG_8873.CR2.arp (29.5 KB)

Hopefully this is readable with the ART edits, and if so, that leaves me head-scratching as to what I’m doing (or what ART is doing) to create these odd outcomes - again. :thinking:

Thank you for the helpful feedback … I’d like to understand and resolve this someday.

1 Like

The larger sidecar works as expected, thank you !

1 Like

Thanks again for letting me know … I’ve created a post addressing the duplicate sidecar question. Perhaps Alberto or others can shed some light on what’s going on under the hood that might be causing my issues.

IMG_8873BW.jpg.out.arp (12.7 KB)

IMG_8873.jpg.out.arp (12.7 KB)

2 Likes

My plays in GIMP.

1 Like

My in GIMP

2 Likes

Thanks for posting
darktable 4.0.1

IMG_8873_02.CR2.xmp (22.5 KB)

and a BW version

IMG_8873_03.CR2.xmp (26.3 KB)