Simulating Watercolor

A couple of shots from my recent trip to Egypt reminded me of the 19th century watercolors of old temples done by French and British water-colorists. I tried this simulation using Diffuse or Sharpen’s simulate watercolor.

_DSC8153.NEF.xmp (16.1 KB)
_DSC8153.NEF (29.2 MB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

3 Likes

Interesting idea. To me, watercolors usually look flat and washed out, so here’s what I came to.

_DSC8153.NEF.xmp (7.0 KB)

1 Like

Just for Fun
darktable 4.6.1 + GMIC watercolor filter

_DSC8153_03.NEF.xmp (12.4 KB)

4 Likes

With DT 4.6.1
You can use the “Watercolour” or “oil painting” preset that I discovered with the “Denoise (profiled)” module.
I remember that this preset has to be done:

For more effect, you have to set (in this image) the iso at maximum value, in this case 6400.
And for even more effect, double, triple, x4, … the module. :wink:

20240328_DSC8153.NEF.xmp (10,3 KB)

Ready to pick up a canvas, brush and watercolours and paint for real! :grinning:

Greetings!

3 Likes

My play in GIMP. Not really watercolour, but I liked the effect, having tried various random adjustments!

2 Likes

Reminded me of Greek watercolourist Spyridon Scarvelli. Love that old architecture.

1 Like

Hi Arturo,
I just checked “Denoise (profiled)” module. And I can not find any Watercolor or Oil painting preset. I would appreciate it if you could export them. Many thanks and have a nice day and a happy Easter. P.S. As you suggest, I will pick a brush and paint some of the images I shot in Egypt.

Thank you so much, Tim for pointing out The water-colorist Spyridon Scarvelli, I just checked him, and he is just marvelous, loved his interpretation of the Philae temple.

1 Like

The preset does not come as standard. You have to create it.
To do this, put the values as I have put them in the image of the module and then save it where you have the presets with “store new preset…”.

1 Like

I used gmic’s sharp abstract filter to paint this picture:

4 Likes

Interesting, for me, it’s the opposite.

My try:

_DSC8153.NEF.xmp (10.5 KB)

2 Likes

Further play with gmic in gimp:

6 Likes

_DSC8153.NEF.xmp (12.9 KB)

2 Likes

Interesting. Here’s mine, done in DT4.7

3 Likes

My - fun in GIMP

GIMP-Watercolor Pastels Effect-Jvid

GIMP Oilify_32

GIMP-Filters-Art-Waterpixels

GMIC-Joan Rake_Artistic_Dreamy Watercolor

3 Likes

Here’s my attempt. Tried to give an oil painting approach with a play with blur and diffuse and sharpen modules. The idea was to pixelate to give it a look like a painting by Monet, but couldn’t figure out how. Used DT 4.7

_DSC8153.NEF.xmp (14.1 KB)

1 Like