Siril 0.99.6 crashes

I have 2 stacks made with Siril/Sirilic (Ha and RGB) of the same target with different image scales (one is 200mm the other 360mm).

Later, in Siril, I have created a new sequence with these 2 stacks with the intention of registering them together to the same image scale (for which Sirilic didn’t do), so I can combine them into a HaRGB stack in Startools or other astro software .

When I try and register the stacks after star detection and custom rectangle selection, Siril immediately shuts down/crashes and I can’t continue. Is this a bug or have i done something wrong?

Thanks

The issue here is that you try to register monochrome image with RGB one. It is not possible.
Split the RGB in R, G and B channel.

You can do it in Siril too.

Thanks for that, but it didn’t work for this set of images, even with the RGB split.

I tried it with an alternative Ha & split RGB stack, taken at different sessions with the same optics but different pixel pitched sensors (5.73 arcseconds/pix vs. 3.53 arcseconds/pix). This seemed to work OK.

Maybe 200mm to 360mm is a bridge too far?

Hi,

I tried the exact same thing this week-end just to prove a friend Siril could make it.
We had imaged last summer the Crescent Nebula with his 72ED (420mm) and my Newt (1000mm) , both sessions with my camera, 294MC so same pixels but different sampling, and most importantly, different fields of view.
One session with a dualband filter, producing Ha and OIII layers with the Newt, and one session without filter on his ED, split to 3 mono images.

First attempt did not work: trying to gather all 5 images into one sequence to register failed to register the 3 R, G and B frames. It did not crash Siril though…
Not willing to take No for an answer, I took the 3 RGB layers and seqcropped them to a field overtopping just by a bit the smaller field imaged with the newt. Nothing accurate, just visually checking that the field from the newt was roughly enclosed in the crop. Ran registration on the 5 images sequence, with the ref image a layer from the newt field, and that worked for me.
Maybe worth trying on your images?

2 Likes

Hey - that works. Thank you!

The only problem now is, when I create a new sequence with the files I named “Red, Green, Blue & Ha”, Siril renames the files and I lose all means of identifing which file is which, as the colour files in particular all look the same in the B&W viewscreen.

Files named r_00000.fit, r_00001.fit, r_00002.fit and r_00003.fit are all but useless for identification.

Is there another way of ascertaining which file is which?

Thanks

Ah great!
No, not really an automated way to retrieve the info. My trick to find which is what is to load the 5 images in the Convert Tab in the order I expect to find them in the registered sequence. So for instance, load R then G then B, then Ha, then OIII. Once the sequence is created and loaded, I can choose which image is the reference using the Frame chooser.

So your saying, if you load and convert your files in the order of R, G, B, Ha, and lastly Oiii:

R = 0000.fit
G = 0001.fit
B = 0002.fit
Ha = 0003.fit
Oiii = 0004.fit

as the output files after you’ve created your sequence?

Thanks

Yep, that’s exactly it. Maybe @lock042 ou @vinvin could confirm?

I’m not sure it will work with only numbers, I think It’ll need a base name, like filter_1.fit, filter_2.fit and so on. You can also use symbolic links if you have them on your OS, that will keep a relation between the new fake name and the original name.

Hello Vincent,

As you’ll of course know, the numbers I listed are automatically created by the sequence tab. I have no control to how Siril names them, but for instance, if I do save the sequence as say “HaRGB”. that will result in:

HaRGB_0000.fit
HaRGB_0001.fit
HaRGB_0002.fit
HaRGB_0003.fit

and so on, which tells me nothing about which file is which.

I always set Siril in symbolic link mode, but I don’t see how this will help things? Can you please explain further?

Thanks

Yes sorry I hadn’t read everything. I understand you have a colour image and an Ha image, you split the colour into for example r.fit, g.fit and b.fit.

Now with these four images identifiable by their name, you can make a sequence with symbolic links like that:

f_1.fit -> r.fit
f_2.fit -> g.fit
f_3.fit -> b.fit
f_4.fit -> Ha.fit

then siril will preserve the same numbering after registration, so although you have new files resulting from the registration you r_f_1.fit will be your red channel image and r_f_4.fit your Ha.

Edit: note that the creation of the symbolic links can also be done by siril’s conversion tool if you don’t want to do it manyally, just put the 4 files in the conversion tab and set any name with a FITS Images output and it should work.

1 Like

Hi sorry, I don’t understand this.

I have:

1. Renamed my files just as you have said above
  2. Imported them into the Conversion tab
  3. Named the sequence “f”
  4. Clicked the Convert button (ensuring the symbolic link box is checked).

But now my output files are:

f_00000.fit
f_00001.fit
f_00002.fit
f_00003.fit

Again, with no means of identification.

I don’t see how symbolic links come into play here, as I have tried renaming the links created above to Red.fit, Green.fit, Blue.fit, and Ha.fit (guessing which file is which) after the sequence is created, ready for registration, but then the frames disappear when I open the frame list. At what point should I be renaming these files?

Do you think you could please post a video or something as I don’t get this.

Many thanks

I’m not sure you know what a symbolic link is in fact, what operating system do you use? The converted files must not be renamed otherwise the sequence will be broken and you won’t be able to register them indeed.

A symbolic link acts as a file with a name but points to another file, the one with the real name. The usual command to see where they point to is ls -l.

Problem solved.

I selected “FITS Images” instead of the “FITS sequence” button in the destination field. That is why it didn’t work.

All makes sense now.