Siril Comet registration with dithered lights

Following the Siril tutorial Siril - Working with Comets my results left something to be desired, although the subframes looked pretty good.

I came to think that most probably my issue is that I use dithering. As far as I understand Siril is calculating a vector from the first and last image, and is placing the subs on this vector relative in position to their time stamp.

Because of the dithering a vector of course will not be suitable to describe the position of the comet during the session, as it will “jump around” from light to light and not only follow its natural trajectory in the sky.

If I register and stack two subs only using the comet registering I can definitely see an improvement both in snr and details. If I do the whole sequence the comet will be blurred and details get lost.

Am I missing something here, or is there a different way to go with dithered subframes?

Simon

You MUST register on stars before. To avoid any issue with vector computation.

You’re right I didn’t do that, I rather jumped directly to the “comet registration” part. So this has to be the culprit.

Thanks for the speedy reply!

Of course it makes total sense to get the stars aligned first. With the info given in the tutorial it just wasn’t 100% clear to me the comet registration adds up on top of the star bound registration.

1 Like