Site certificate expired

@damonlynch Looks like the ssl cert for damonlynch.net expired last Monday. The site isn’t accessible via https, so the installer doesn’t work. You OK?

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know! The certificates had not expired, but the server needed a reboot. After the reboot, everything was back to normal. It’s just a single server on Digital Ocean, without any CDN.

As for me personally, I’m fine. However, my hands are not fine yet. I’m doing everything in Windows these days using voice recognition. Therefore all development on Rapid Photo Downloader remains halted until I recover, unfortunately.

1 Like

Very sorry to hear you’re still having problems. Best wishes for your recovery.

(Thanks for fixing the server.)

mac

Hi!

I see you are using Let’s Encrypt for your certificates… As such, that probably means the certificate will expire periodically, every 3 months in general. Normally, it should be enough to restart the webserver for the new certificate to take effect.

To fix this problem without intervention, I have this in my certbot configuration:

renew_hook = 'service apache2 reload'

For example, here is my full /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/anarc.at.conf file:

# renew_before_expiry = 30 days
cert = /etc/letsencrypt/live/anarc.at/cert.pem
privkey = /etc/letsencrypt/live/anarc.at/privkey.pem
chain = /etc/letsencrypt/live/anarc.at/chain.pem
fullchain = /etc/letsencrypt/live/anarc.at/fullchain.pem
version = 1.12.0
archive_dir = /etc/letsencrypt/archive/anarc.at

# Options and defaults used in the renewal process
[renewalparams]
authenticator = webroot
rsa_key_size = 4096
account = REDACTED
server = https://acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org/directory
renew_hook = 'service apache2 reload & etckeeper commit "certbot renewed domains: $RENEWED_DOMAINS"'
[[webroot_map]]
anarc.at = /home/w-anarcat/public_html/
anarcat.wiki.orangeseeds.org = /home/w-anarcat/public_html/

I made this the default for all domains configured by certbot by adding this line in /etc/letsencrypt/cli.ini:

renew-hook = service apache2 reload

I hope that helps!