Smarter Everyday More rocket things

5 Likes

Interesting. Didn’t think that at first, he’s a bit of a goofball (I’m one to talk… :crazy_face: ), but they gradually got into a somewhat decent bit of the engineering behind engines and booster stacks.

If one wants to immerse in the early days of engine design, go to the Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, AL, USA. They’ve got a large high-bay with a horizontally stacked Saturn V, and a great set of exhibits documenting the development of the F1 engine. There’s a similar Saturn V exhibit at Kennedy Space Center, but I don’t know if they have the same level of detail about the F1…

1 Like

If you still underestimate Destin, I would argue you should watch his channel more.

btw: speaking about that visitor center and the F1 engine :wink:

1 Like

Oh, that’s cool! I’ve watched about 30 minutes of it, this fellow does a really good job of describing the ins and outs of the entire vehicle.

This is a really good museum, close proximity to Marshall Spaceflight Center, where a team led by Werner Von Braun designed and built the Saturn rocket family. Space Camp is also on the same property, provides a good immersive experience to folks of all ages.

2 Likes

I’ve been to the Space and Rocket Center at Huntsville several times. It is always interesting and I always learn something new. I also recommend it.

1 Like

Thanks for this video with Luke Talley walking us through the many very interesting facets of the Saturn 5, on which he participated in the development of the computer steering system, and its launch and the travel to the moon. Now, more than 50 years after we watched this happen live and had so much information on the Apollo-program, it’s utterly fascinating to get this more overall picture of several of the technical challenges they encountered and the environment they worked in.
(If one may wonder what’s in references to something being or not “rocket science”, this video ought to be quite elucidating …)

Highly recommended!

there are more videos with him on the smarter every day channel. e.g. about the instrument unit.