Soap bubble fairy

This one was very difficult to edit (at least for me) and I’m not fully satisfied for my edit. I would like to see what all others can do with this one. Darktable 4.0.1.

502A7740.CR3 (54.5 MB)
502A7740.CR3.xmp (10.1 KB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

7 Likes

This was my reference for highlights and denoising, but not for colors on face etc. Created with Canon Digital Photo Professional.

2 Likes

My version…

502A7740.CR3.xmp (19.5 KB)

4 Likes

Thanks for posting
darktable 4.0.1

502A7740_02.CR3.xmp (20.9 KB)

1 Like

darktable 4.0.1

502A7740.CR3.xmp (15.6 KB)

I wanted to brighten the subject in my interpretation and make the background dark to hold the attention on the fairy. Multiple instances of exposure and masking used here. I was tempted to clone out the person in the background.

502A7740.CR3.xmp (6.6 KB)

2 Likes

A great fun image where I have taken the liberty of going to extremes in GIMP!

quick access panel + tone equalizer

502A7740.CR3.xmp (12,2 KB)

Nice versions you all have created, at least when looking from ipad screen :stuck_out_tongue:

I need to take closer look when I can get back to my computer.

AgX
I love that AgX takes it easy on the blues. Notice how most of the pictures sport weird artifacts around the blue lights on the skirt.

2 Likes

Looks fairly purple over here.

Cool.
Abney effect is pretty cool as well.

Yeah I mean RGB 108, 113, 213 is tending towards purple
Screenshot_20221201_184718

502A7740.CR3.xmp (11.5 KB)

I tried to shift the color of the lights in the dress more towards the color of the dress. And crop the two out of background and tighten it up in general.

3 Likes

Inspecting pixels like that is a really bad way to judge colors.

I apologise for mislabeling a color. I just wanted to point something out that is easy to miss, and that is the deep blues/purples that often break easily.

So (1) using ones eyes to determine things is bad and also (2) measuring it is bad.

OK.

???

This reply

You misunderstood, either intentionally or by accident.

What I meant that the hint of purple might be due to Abney effect. It’s neither bad nor wrong. It’s also really easy to correct it, if required.

The image is exactly as I intended to make it. If I wanted it ‘warmer’ blue, I have the tools to do it.
I was trying to say that the name of the color doesn’t matter.

“Measuring” IS bad, especially if it’s done the way you showed.

Well you failed at that until this moment.